What's new

The exam for Class 2-1

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
does this question work?

Read the paragraph and answer the question below.
These opinions are just a few examples of the wide variety of views expressed by foreigners living in Japan. They are valuable in giving the Japanese an outside view of their own culture.
In coming to Japan, such people must have had a great spirit of adventure. What about the other side of the picture? Do many Japanese people share that spirit? As far as students are concerned, fewer and fewer are choosing to go abroad to study. According to the Ministry of Education, after a peak in 2004, numbers began to decrease. Indeed, between 2004 and 2010, there was a 30% reduction in the number of students studying abroad.
Yin Wenyi believes that young people in Japan should take advantage of their freedom to go abroad. "Once you have a Japanese passport," she says, "you can go almost anywhere in the world." She points out that that is something the Chinese envy. "Young people in Japan should take learning a foreign language more seriously and then go off and see the world with their own eyes," she adds. "That would greatly help Japan's future."

Q) Choose one that are relevant from the choices. (Does this make sense?)
[Choices]
(a) The views expressed by foreigners living in Japan are valuable because they help the Japanese to get another view of their own culture.
(b) According to Ministry of Education, the number of students studying abroad didn't begin to
decrease, after a peak in 2004.
(c) Because they can travel almost anywhere in the world on their Chinese passports, young
people in China do not envy the Japanese.

Thanks in advance.

Hirashin

I think it's good but yes, change Choose one that are relevant from the choices to something like Choose one sentence below that matches what you have read in the text.
I would also change,
According to Ministry of Education, the number of students studying abroad didn't begin to
decrease, after a peak in 2004.

I think I know why you did it, to make it a clear wrong answer, but if it was a stand-alone sentence I think you would say the number of students studying abroad didn't change/stayed level/continued increasing

Here is another way to ask the question:

"According to the paragraph, which of the following sentences is true? Choose only one."

If you think the students might not know some of the words, you can define them. For example:
"(according to ~: ~によると true: 真実; 一致する)"

Thanks for the help, Michael2 and joadbres.
These choices are basically from data the publisher of the textbook provides.
It may sound unnatural because I avoided to use "increase", which I haven't taught them.

How about this one?
(b) According to the Ministry of Education, the number of students studying abroad hasn't decreased since 2004.

Back
Top Bottom