What's new

Textbook Chapter 2 速読 Translation

ledojaeger

後輩
19 Jul 2015
Bold is the original text, plain text is my translation. Any verification of my translations would be appreciated greatly. I'll try my best to get across every meaning but might try to make some translations less direct and more natural English.
頑張ってもっと自然な英語で訳そうとします。

「リスと写真」
"Squirrels and Photographs"

1:ニューヨークに住むサラは、日本のペン・フレンドのさち子から、夏休みになったらニューヨークへ遊びに行きたいという手紙をもらった。さち子はアメリカをまだ見たこたがないという。サラはニューヨーク生まれ、ニューヨーク育ちなので、ニューヨークのことなら何でもよく知っている。さち子がニューヨークへ来たら、有名な所をいろいろ見せてあげようプランを作った。Sarah, a New Yorker, got a letter from her Japanese pen pal Sachiko saying that once summer vacation started, she wanted to come over. Sachiko said that she had never seen America before. Sarah was born and raised in New York, so if it was about New York, Sarah would know it all. Sarah made plans to show Sachiko all sorts of famous places once she came.

2:サラは、さち子が着いた次の日の朝早くから、マンハッタンを案内して歩いた。エンパイア・ステート・ビルをはじめ、タイムズ・スクウェア、グランド・セントラル・ステーション、ロックフェラー・センター、コロンビア大学などへも連れていったが、さち子は感心したような顔を見せない。そして、「ニューヨークは汚い」とか、「ニューヨークの地下鉄は臭い」とか、「日本人の方がいい物を着ている」などと言うばかりだ。
Since Sarah (woke up early?) the day after Sachiko arrived, she showed her around Manhatten. Starting with the Empire State Building, she took her to Times Square, Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Center, and Columbia University, but Sachiko never looked impressed. Then she only made comments like 'New York is dirty' or 'New York's subways smell gross', or 'Japanese people dress better'.

3:そんなさち子が一番喜んだのは、セントラル・パークでリスを見た時だった。「ああ、可愛い」と言って、リスの写真をたくさん撮り始めた。そして「東京では、犬と猫しか見られないからつまらないわ」と言った。
The time Sachiko showed the most enjoyment was when she saw a squirrel at Central Park. 'Ahh, it's so cute!' she said, and began taking lots of pictures. 'In Tokyo, I only see dogs and cats, so it's pretty boring' she said.

この話のさち子はなんか面白い人ですね。:meh:
前の第二課の記事よりもこの話の方が訳すことが易い気がしますが、間違いはまだいっぱいあるかもしれないから、直してくれませんか?
どうぞよろしく。

1)
サラ is the subject of 案内して歩いた. さち子が着いた次の日の朝早くから、サラはマンハッタンを案内して歩いた。 is easier to understand, maybe?

2)
Unlike ~を(手)始めに, ~を始め(として) doesn't refer to the starting point. It shows the Empire State Building is the most common example.

はじめ【始め】
3 〔…を代表として〕
船長を始め乗組員全員が死亡した
The entire crew, from the captain (on) down, died.
はじめ【始め】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

I did not know that before about 始め, thank you.

I guess I trip up a little bit on how 朝早くから translates...

朝早く literally means "the early morning". It has nothing to do with Sarah's waking up.

さち子が着いた次の日の朝早くから
since the early morning of the day after Sachiko arrived

Back
Top Bottom