What's new

Teaching English in Japan

Shbta

Registered
Hi everyone,
I need some advice on moving to Japan. I am half Japanese with a Japanese citizenship but I was born and raised in Canada so I am eligible to work and live in Japan. I was planning on moving to Japan to teach English and I was wondering if:
1. I would have any chance of getting a teaching job there without a degree.
or
2. I should get a degree before moving to Japan and if so, which degree(s) would help me most.

Thanks in advance

Ratings
Even Japanese people need degrees. You might land a very short term job with a working holiday visa if you qualify. No degree needed.

Obviously, the degrees for teaching a language would include linguistics or English itself, perhaps TEFL. What kind of teaching interests you?

Shbta

Registered
I was hoping to take a TESL course but they're all graduate level courses meaning I would have to finish my bachelor's degree before being able to sign up for that course. And I'd be interested in teaching kids aged 8-16ish. I have quite a bit of experience tutoring kids in English and French and I enjoy it.

Ratings
You're only 18 according to your profile. I doubt you have what employers will accept as "a lot of experience". Teaching kids means either becoming an ALT or working in a special eikaiwa. Both would require a degree. Eikaiwa sometimes take people on WHV.