What's new

Some guidance appreciated.

lycka

Registered
16 Apr 2009
Um hello, the interpretation of this phrase has been eluding me for a while now...

友人とはいえ、尋問中に取り調べ相手の要求を二つ返事で飲んでくれる辺り、基本的には優しい心根の持ち主なのだと思う。

That's all the context I can provide...I understand most of it, but not 飲んでくれる辺り, why is there an 辺り there? And who is drinking for whose sake?

Also I'm not sure who 相手 is, is a third person implied?

If anyone gets it I would like to know what you think, thanks!

I understand most of it, but not 飲んでくれる辺り, why is there an 辺り there?
あたり【辺り】
3 〔例えば…など〕
あの困難な仕事に1人で取り組む辺り,彼はなかなか野心家である
He is certainly full of drive─for example, tackling that difficult job all by himself.
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/je2/1131/m0u/辺り/

And who is drinking for whose sake?
The addressee is the agent and it's done for 取り調べ相手.

Also I'm not sure who 相手 is, is a third person implied?
取り調べ相手 might be third person, as you wrote, but the speaker/writer also can be the one. The context is needed to determine it, but the latter interpretation would be correct because of くれる.

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/je2/1131/m0u/辺り/

The addressee is the agent and it's done for 取り調べ相手.

取り調べ相手 might be third person, as you wrote, but the speaker/writer also can be the one. The context is needed to determine it.

Thank you Toritoribe for the help. I did not know 辺り had that definition, my eng/jp dictionary has no such entry and neither does 大辞林 strangely enough...

Apparently 相手 can refer to the speaker too, so that's two things learned today...always thought it was strictly third person.

Is the 飲んでくれる agent 友人 or it is left ambiguous?

Apparently 相手 can refer to the speaker too
The speaker intentionally uses 取り調べ相手 to give a nuance of an objective description (not from the viewpoint of the speaker themselves) to the sentence.

Is the 飲んでくれる agent 友人 or it is left ambiguous?
The agent of 飲む is the addressee, as I wrote. 友人 means that 取り調べ相手(= the speaker) is a friend of him/her.

The speaker intentionally uses 取り調べ相手 to give a nuance of an objective description (not from the viewpoint of the speaker themselves) to the sentence.

The agent of 飲む is the addressee, as I wrote. 友人 means that 取り調べ相手(= the speaker) is a friend of him/her.
Okay, this clears things up, I get the gist of the sentence now, thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom