What's new

Short comment translation

Random teach

Kouhai
24 Feb 2016
Hi guys,
I'm an English teacher in an online language school and every once in a while I get a comment in Japanese that is unintelligible when translated by Google translate. Since understanding the students' comments is crucial for me, could you please help?

若くてきれいな人で、英語もキレイですが、コミュニケーション能力が少し足りない気がする。対応が事務的で冷たい。教える方が楽しくやらないと、教わる方はつまらないと思う。

Thanks in advance!

"You're young and good-looking, and you have really nice English pronunciation, but I feel like your communication skills are somewhat lacking. Your interaction [with the students] is formal and cold. If the teacher doesn't give fun lessons, students will get bored."

楽しくやらないと
If the teacher doesn't have fun with teaching,

楽しく is not the object of やる, and やる means "to do", not "to give". The student pointed out that teachers should have fun with their teaching.

楽しく is not the object of やる, and やる means "to do", not "to give". The student pointed out that teachers should have fun with their teaching.
I interpreted 楽しくやる as "do (= teach) in a way that's fun (for the students/everyone)". Thanks for the correction.

One more comment, I don't want to make a new thread just for this:
前回、私の都合が合わずキャンセルしたのですが、今回は、ちゃんと受けることが出来ました。 まじめな印象を受けました。とても話しやすかったので、また受けたいと思います。

"I cancelled last time because something came up, but this time I could take the lesson. I got the impression that you're a diligent person. You're really easy to talk to, so I plan on taking more lessons in the future."

Back
Top Bottom