What's new

Shikishi & Kakejiku for Setsubun

Raijin

Registered
26 Feb 2015
Hey!
I'm just picking some nice things to hang up for Setsubun, and was hoping someone here might be able to help me with a couple of translation requests.
The first is a kakejiku I was thinking to hang in my (makeshift) tokonoma alcove, photos 1-4. Photo 1-3 are the kakejiku itself, and photo 4 is a slip of paper with a handwritten copy of the text on the scroll, that I found inside the wooden storage box.

In photo 4, I think that the first 4 kanji on the right are - 社頭祈古, but on the kakejiku it looks more like - 社頭祈世. I think that 社頭 means the main building of a Shinto shrine? or Shatou?

Then there is a name I think (second line from right in photo 4) - 松波 遊山 - Matsunami Yuyama / Yuzan???

But where I could really use some help is with the main body of text, because my kana skills really are not good. I have literally no idea what it says, but my best attempt to isolate each hiragana would be (I think it's totally wrong) -

んあにまいるや?ろは

かは?ども

みよさいのろは

ひとつ??けい

015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG 007.JPG

The second item I wanted to ask about was this Otsu-e Shikishi of an Oni that I will hang up on February 3rd. On the reverse are two coach tour tickets, and a small handwritten note with a date.

I think that on the tickets it says, 'TOUR NAME' - びわ湖と国宝 - Lake Biwa & National Treasures? (Wikipedia says that 'Shiga has 807 National Treasures and Important Cultural Properties', so I'm guessing the tour must have had a pretty intense itinerary!)

Then, under the section 'BOARDING. PL.', it says - 烏丸口 (京都駅烏丸口), which I think is just a bust stop in Kyoto ?

Then there is the handwritten section underneath, with a date which looks to me like - 63. 8. 17, but I don't think that this kind of printed ticket would have been around in 63, so that is a little confusing!

And then underneath the date, it says something about National Treasures, and then 旅記念, which I think means like a souvenir or travel souvenir??

And if anyone can read what is written on the bag the Oni is holding, I would love to know what it says!!

002.JPG 012.JPG 011.JPG 014.JPG 017.jpg

As always, thank you so much in advance if you can help at all!!

松波遊山 = Matsunami Yuzan = Matsunami Sukeyui (松波助資之) = a 19th century waka poet.

I can't find a translation of this poem... putting my google skills to work, but not coming up with anything yet.

社頭祈世
人毎にまいるやしろはかはれどもみよをいのるはひとつなりけり
(=人毎に参る社は変われども御代を祈るは一つなりけり)

Although people visit various shrines, they all pray one thing; May the Emperor's reign be prosperous.

社頭 means "in front of shrine" here.

Thank you so much Majestic and Toritoribe! As always, I'm super grateful for your help.

I can't believe that I did not consider Showa 63, that was truly beyond stupid of me. I think that the western numerals threw me off :oops:

Back
Top Bottom