What's new

Selling software on the internet

Awennor

Registered
3 Aug 2015
Can I do that as a MEXT scholarship student? I mean legally, without hiding it from anyone.
It's mainly a hobby kinda thing.

The student visa prohibits/limits you from holding employment in Japan. It doesn't explicitly prohibit you from buying and selling things for profit. Note that the tax authorities could view your profit as miscellaneous income, and depending upon how the money flows to you (and the amount) it could present some difficulties.
In general, assuming you have the rights to sell the software you are selling, there shouldn't be any issue with your visa.

I intend to pay the taxes related to this revenue here in Japan, I just don't wanna lose the scholarship. I thought it was as you say, but some people from the university administration are telling me to investigate further.

Thanks for the info!

After discussing with some administration people in the university it seems like it really can't be done, it would constitute a side business which would not be allowed. :(

How would you expect to get paid? If it's some kind of direct deposit into your home country account, then Japan has no reason to know about it.

Back
Top Bottom