What's new

Self thought up name correct?

onequestion

Registered
4 May 2018
Hello, so I've came up with an online identity, but I'm not really sure whether it's correct and if it sounds 'too' feminine (well I'm a male after all).
So this is the name I thought up of,
Given name: ヤミ(闇)Yami
Surname: あまよ(雨夜)Amayo
Well does this sound too weird or out of place?
Let me know please!

Thanks in advance!~~~

You didn't specify what you were making this up for. For a fictional character or online persona you get more leeway, but no one would confuse this for a real name.

according to this list, 雨夜 (pronounced Amaya) is a rare name in real life but is popular in manga. This would be a first name, not a surname.

As for 闇 (やみ (n,adj-no) darkness; the dark; black-marketeering; dark; shady; illegal; (P)...

...This seems like a very unusual and unlikely given name. In fact, Japan has naming laws that prohibit parents from giving their children offensive or embarrassing names. See the "regulation" section in the wikipedia article for Japanese names. This article may give you a better idea of the naming conventions and structures in Japan.

Also realize that just as foreign characters are considered exotic or interesting by westerners, Japanese people are more likely to exoticize western words or letters, and aren't likely to make up (obviously fake) given and surnames for their online personae in kanji. You might as well just make up a user name that uses "yami" in it...

Thanks 'nice gaijin'. I was using this name for an online persona. Reading this has enlighten me a bit about names in Japanese. Again, thank you! I'll be continuing name hunting in the mean time for my online persona :)

There is no problem with using unreal names for handle names in Japanese, just like "Toritoribe", "nice gaijin" or "onequestion".:emoji_wink: So, you can use ヤミ(闇) or あまよ(雨夜) as a Japanese name. I would interpret あまよ(雨夜) as a female name (and あまや sounds like a male name to me), though.

Back
Top Bottom