What's new

Restaurants and advice

Nomvember

Registered
25 Jul 2016
Hi all, my wife and I are going to Japan for the first time (and first vacation since having a kid - the kid will not be coming with). She really wants to try some nice sushi in Tokyo and we looked at Jiro sushi but I don't know how I feel about $300 for 30 min. Does anyone have advice or discussion around high end sushi places? I would feel better with $100-200 pp.

We will be going in November for 2 weeks and plan to spend a day or 2 in Tokyo, travel to some hiking and hot springs (maybe see the hot spring monkeys) then head down to Kyoto area and then back to Tokyo for a few days before the flight out. We aren't really concerned with money too much, my main goal is a good value - that can be a neat guest house for $25 or Something worth the high price. So any suggestions would be appreciated. We are not fancy/snooty so we are fine roughing it - more after having good authentic experiences and meeting people.

I am a big fan of sake and outdoors, we will have good clothing for the (any) conditions and pack light. We will likely buy the rail pass as well. Ramen is a big interest as well.

We are also considering bringing an empty suitcase so we can buy some Japanese stuff in Tokyo and bring it home (might be interested In a kitchen knife, some writing materials, and kid stuff. Just not sure if so, best way to keep the suitcase (ask hotel to hold for us?).

Has anyone stayed in guest houses? How was that experience? Also is Chinese a common language because my wife speaks that fluently and could potentially help if English isn't available. I have looked on some websites but have trouble with understanding the reviews/comparison between places

Never been to Jiro, can't imagine spending that amount for 30 minutes. Based on other online reviews, they may not even serve you. they don't have the best history with foreigners.
Tabelog has a lot of Sushi places that rank higher (Japan's version of Yelp).

Hi all, my wife and I are going to Japan for the first time (and first vacation since having a kid - the kid will not be coming with). She really wants to try some nice sushi in Tokyo and we looked at Jiro sushi but I don't know how I feel about $300 for 30 min. Does anyone have advice or discussion around high end sushi places? I would feel better with $100-200 pp.

We will be going in November for 2 weeks and plan to spend a day or 2 in Tokyo, travel to some hiking and hot springs (maybe see the hot spring monkeys) then head down to Kyoto area and then back to Tokyo for a few days before the flight out. We aren't really concerned with money too much, my main goal is a good value - that can be a neat guest house for $25 or Something worth the high price. So any suggestions would be appreciated. We are not fancy/snooty so we are fine roughing it - more after having good authentic experiences and meeting people.

I am a big fan of sake and outdoors, we will have good clothing for the (any) conditions and pack light. We will likely buy the rail pass as well. Ramen is a big interest as well.

We are also considering bringing an empty suitcase so we can buy some Japanese stuff in Tokyo and bring it home (might be interested In a kitchen knife, some writing materials, and kid stuff. Just not sure if so, best way to keep the suitcase (ask hotel to hold for us?).

Has anyone stayed in guest houses? How was that experience? Also is Chinese a common language because my wife speaks that fluently and could potentially help if English isn't available. I have looked on some websites but have trouble with understanding the reviews/comparison between places

If you are a big fan of sake and are going to Kyoto, be sure to visit Fushimi area, which be easily reached from Chushojima train station. When in Kyoto, go to Sanjo or Shijo station (Keihan line, entrance is right next to Kamogawa river. Should take about 10 to 15 minutes to reach Chushojima).
As for sushi, there are so many places that offer decent quality for a good price. Since you are a tourist, it might be nice to visit he Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo early in the morning, and try some sushi there. Most people like that experience.

Can't really help you with the guest house question. I often stay at my wife's family or in hotels.

We went to Tsukiji in Tokyo, and you can get a taste of the best of the best sushi there! You will need to go there early though, since it's mainly a wet market and activities usually run from the early morning till lunch. There are several options of places you can eat in there, since they have lots of mini restaurants lined up along the streets. I forgot the name of the place we ate in (since the name was in kanji), but I remember that a plate of 8pcs. of high quality sushi cost us about 15-25 USD (I can't remember too well, since we went there back in 2015).

We went to Tsukiji in Tokyo, and you can get a taste of the best of the best sushi there! You will need to go there early though, since it's mainly a wet market and activities usually run from the early morning till lunch. There are several options of places you can eat in there, since they have lots of mini restaurants lined up along the streets. I forgot the name of the place we ate in (since the name was in kanji), but I remember that a plate of 8pcs. of high quality sushi cost us about 15-25 USD (I can't remember too well, since we went there back in 2015).

Tsukiji is a thing of the past. It will be in a new location soon.

Back
Top Bottom