What's new

Requesting opinion and translation of Yosegaki Hinomaru

fmussler

Registered
At the end of WWII, my father-in-law brought this flag back from the Philippines where he served with the U.S. Army as a medical assistant. I am thinking about sending it to the Obon Society for possible return to the owner's family, but first, I would be grateful for your opinion regarding its authenticity. Secondarily, I would like a translation of the phrases written in large characters. From reading previous threads, I believe that the phrase along the bottom of the flag is the common one regarding Prayers For Everlasting Fortune In Battle, but I cannot find any references to the one that is written vertically at the bottom right. I have also included pictures of some sections of smaller characters to aid in your evaluation and on the chance that they might include the owner's name or his home town. Thank you for your assistance.

Ratings
Looks like Nishiura Sadao (西浦定夫) which would presumably be the name of the person to whom the flag was presented. The rest are just names. Looks a little bit strange because of the vertical orientation. Can't say for sure if its real or not.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
There are two more slogans there.
1) upper side
玉砕報(most likely 国)
Gyokusai Hōkoku
honorable death for the country

2) middle left
忠?(The second kanji is illegible. It could be 義.)