What's new

Renewing my permanent residency and gaijin card but living outside Japan?

applepicker

後輩
31 Aug 2016
Left japan in 2010 and had just got permanent residency. I went back in 2013 and renewed the re-entry stamp for five years, it will expire in 2018 (March) is it still ok to come back for a holiday and renew the re-entry or have the rules changed? Also, my alien registration expires in 2020. is that a problem if I don't renew that?

Only immigration will be able to answer this. Frankly, if you aren't even living here, I wonder whether they will consent to extend your card. Once, maybe, but often? Good luck. (that's a sincere wish, not a sarcastic one).

I also don't know how far in advance they will agree to do it. You seem to want to do it years before it's due, which may work against you.

Well I came back to Japan in 2013 and got a 5 year re-entry permit. Anyone managed to come back 4 half years later and extend it?

How about the foreign/alien card thingee? Go to the city hall when come back?

Do you have the resident card or the old "alien card"? There was a deadline for people to switch over.

I believe the resident card itself must be renewed every 7 years, in contrast to the reentry permit. The date should be on your card. What does it say?

I think you have to renew at some immigration office. Check this site or contact immigration to be sure.
To all foreign nationals residing in Japan Beginning on Monday, July 9, 2012, Start of a new residency management system!

I have not done what you are thinking of doing, nor have I heard of anyone, so I can't offer even secondhand experience as advice. Sorry.

What does it say?

Can't come back every 5 yrs and renew it or something?

The thing is lots of Japanese have twin US and Japanese passports secretly, which is illegal. I think Japan ignores rules at times. I guess all I can do is come back to Japan and see if they let me in at Narita! If they do then great, if they don't well I will just lose it and come in on a tourist visa. I have a life in the UK now so not the end of the world. I would like to keep it though.

What does it say?

I assumed you either could read it or had a spouse/child who could read it for you. I failed to consider there are "permanent residents" for whom this may not be true.

平成28年1月から施行されるマイナンバー制度(国民一人ひとりに固有の番号を割り当て、徴税と社会保障給付に活用する共通番号制度)は、永住者、中長期在留者、特別永住者等の外国人住民も対象となっています。
マイナンバー制度の運用によって、日本永住権を取得した外国人の納税記録を捕捉することが可能となります。
よって、納税記録が無い、年金保険料の未払い、健康保険料の未払いがある等の場合は、在留カード更新時に日本永住権の取消しがなされる可能性が出てきますのでこの点、十分に注意が必要となります。

Due to the recent implementation of the "My Number" system it has become easy to see at a glance who hasn't been paying their income tax, pension contributions, and health insurance premiums and there is a possibility that one's permanent residency status may be rescinded when one goes to renew their residency card.

The card must be renewed every 7 years, and as of 2012 you can stay outside of Japan 5 years instead of the original 3. Extreme circumstances will allow you to request longer stay. See questions 6 and 15.
To all foreign nationals residing in Japan Beginning on Monday, July 9, 2012, Start of a new residency management system!

If you want to buck the system, be preparedness to get the penalty. Sounds like you are.

So coming back every five years might be ok if it isn't then I just won't be allowed to renew card and will be a tourist. The penalty is just that lose your card, right?

Until 2010, when I lived there I never paid pensions or health insurance. I am not back paying for it if I wasn't there. I think the worst they can do is just cancel my card!

Until 2010, when I lived there I never paid pensions or health insurance. I am not back paying for it
Do you expect anyone who lives in Japan now to feel any empathy towards you after reading that? I suspect not, but IMHO someone needs to grow up if they want to be a part of society. What's the point in thinking you should be allowed to retain PR with such an attitude?

You'll probably never get caught on back payments, which undoubtedly makes you pleased enough to pee your pants. I doubt anything more will happen other than losing your PR, too. Fine, be a tourist. It appears that's all you've been anyway.

I agree with everything glenski said except the bit about probably never getting caught. They will want their money and they will work out a payment plan for you.

This might have been brought up, but all that carry a resident card these days will have to have a "My Number". I think by what you've posted, that includes you. Also the health insurance thing, it will catch up with you, but that goes into more detail about what will be your back payment or whatever. Probably just enjoy Japan as a tourist!

Back
Top Bottom