What's new

Remember, remember the 5th of November....

Mark of Zorro

先輩
4 Oct 2012
Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

The Fifth of November - English Folk Verse

Guy_Fawkes_by_Cruikshank.jpg
1-vendetta-guy-fawkes-mask-on-black-849146.png

Guy Fawkes Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a child, I remember making our Guy Fawkes dummy and sitting outside shops and pubs with it shouting "Penny for the Guy". We always did well (particularly outside the pubs!) and spent the money on sparklers and small fireworks. Later in the night the 'Guy' would be chucked on the Garden Bonfire or the big one built in our town.
As he burned I always felt sad for him and a respect for his deeds.

It's great that his face has now become the symbol of protest and can be seen on activists resisting the governments and others they believe are wrong.

As he burned I always felt sad for him and a respect for his deeds.

I actually had an argument with an Englishman about sympathies for Guy Fawkes. He insisted no one had any, and Bonfire night was 100 percent about hatred for him and celebrating his capture, failure and death. I could understand his initial incredulity since I am not only American, but never even been to Britain. Yet I was surprised how he could not even imagine anyone sympathizing or viewing Bonfire Night as a backhanded celebration of the man.

That said, I really appreciate your reply. It does tell me more about how regular British people view the celebration.

Back
Top Bottom