What's new

regarding the word [余裕]

Kraise

先輩
8 Mar 2013
Hiho there,
This time I'm a bit bugged by the text below(a transcription of a character's words from an anime):

だがあんたは異常な手品でカストロの注意をそらし さらに自分が本気を出していないことをアピールし
自身のオーラが少ないことが余裕からきているかのごとくカモフラージュまでしているのだ!!

Now there is something that bugs me regarding the meaning of 余裕.

Is it possible to comprehend it (somehow) as "excess of confidence?", or "acting in a loose way, due to underestimating something?"

Because my first reaction to this word in the context is to "pin it down" as one of its dictionary meanings "margin/surplus". But that definitely didnt help me, only after rewatching the whole scene a dozen times I realized that the previous sentence "さらに自分が本気を出していないことをアピールし" could be the key to comprehend the usage of 余裕 in this circunstance, and maybe the word could've been used in a metaphore of some sort.

Any help provided is much appreciated !! thank you

Last edited:
It's more likely "confidence" or "composure coming from confidence". It doesn't have a nuance of "excess", "loose" or "underestimating" just in this word.

I see,

日本語にこだわった生活は苦しんでいたけど、果実がおいしく実ってくれたわ。 自由に、というか 字幕なしで好きなものを見れるようになったのよ。 この二年間ずっと、JREFの皆さんのおかげでいろいろ学べることになったんですね。 あがとう

Last edited:
お役に立てたのなら何より:)
(Unlike お役に立てて, which means the speaker/writer approves that they were really helpful, お役に立てたのなら implies "if", and therefore sounds more humble. Seems so delicate, but actually "if" has a similar function also in English, isn't it? I think languages have many things in common with each other.)

お役に立てたのなら何より:)
(Unlike お役に立てて, which means the speaker/writer approves that they were really helpful, お役に立てたのなら implies "if", and therefore sounds more humble. Seems so delicate, but actually "if" has a similar function also in English, isn't it? I think languages have many things in common with each other.)

I've seen the former version before,but with a のなら added its the first time, I could get the intention fairly well though :).
Right now I'm wading through three languages, portuguese(my native), english and japanese. Despite their differences regarding grammar, structures and so on, I'm amazed at the similarities between them ,specially when conveying ideas, idioms and degrees of politeness. Sometimes we(in the west) do not realize our own languages 仕掛け to show someone more or less respect for example(despite our mechanisms being quite rudimentary when compared to the japanese ones ww) learning japanese kind of opens our minds to this :)

Back
Top Bottom