What's new

Regarding the Japanese addressing system

4 Apr 2014
Are 町 only divided into two or more 丁目? For example there is 高砂町 in 門司区 of 北九州市. 高砂町 is not divided into any 丁目。 Would the correct address be 北九州門司区高砂町5-3 OR 北九州門司区高砂町1-5-3 (that particular address is a random one). In a nutshell: (市名)(区)(町名) n番地 n号 OR (市名)(区)(町名) 1丁目n番地 n号?

They're not always divided. The random 5-3 or 1-5-3 are not possible unless divided into 丁目. Sometimes you will just see larger three or four digit 番地 instead.

The random 5-3 or 1-5-3 are not possible unless divided into 丁目. Sometimes you will just see larger three or four digit 番地 instead.

Ah! Now i remember seeing four digits 番地 thanks for clearing that out. The only question left is why 5-3 is not possible? Those four digit 番地 are supposed to have some order that makes sense, aren't they?

Ah! Now i remember seeing four digits 番地 thanks for clearing that out. The only question left is why 5-3 is not possible? Those four digit 番地 are supposed to have some order that makes sense, aren't they?

5-3 is shorthand for 5丁目3番地

Numbers are seldom arranged in a sensible order.

Thanks Mike. I also wonder if there are decent alternatives to google maps when it comes to administrative division of municipalities? Tried searching for 松山区域区分, ended up with this abomination

Gave Mapion a try. Looks neat, zoom levels are handy and have just the right amount of details per zoom level. But the best part is distinct and legible boundaries of 区、町、丁目 and 番地. I only wish there was a way of telling a building's 号 like in Google Maps.

Back
Top Bottom