What's new

Regarding the Japanese addressing system

Ratings
Are 町 only divided into two or more 丁目? For example there is 高砂町 in 門司区 of 北九州市. 高砂町 is not divided into any 丁目。 Would the correct address be 北九州門司区高砂町5-3 OR 北九州門司区高砂町1-5-3 (that particular address is a random one). In a nutshell: (市名)(区)(町名) n番地 n号 OR (市名)(区)(町名) 1丁目n番地 n号?

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
They're not always divided. The random 5-3 or 1-5-3 are not possible unless divided into 丁目. Sometimes you will just see larger three or four digit 番地 instead.

Ratings
The random 5-3 or 1-5-3 are not possible unless divided into 丁目. Sometimes you will just see larger three or four digit 番地 instead.
Ah! Now i remember seeing four digits 番地 thanks for clearing that out. The only question left is why 5-3 is not possible? Those four digit 番地 are supposed to have some order that makes sense, aren't they?

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
Ah! Now i remember seeing four digits 番地 thanks for clearing that out. The only question left is why 5-3 is not possible? Those four digit 番地 are supposed to have some order that makes sense, aren't they?
5-3 is shorthand for 5丁目3番地

Numbers are seldom arranged in a sensible order.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
That's what i'm asking. Can't 5-3 stand for 5番地3号 in 丁目-less areas?
Yes, it can.You would really have to look at a map of the area to know for sure.

Ratings
Thanks Mike. I also wonder if there are decent alternatives to google maps when it comes to administrative division of municipalities? Tried searching for 松山区域区分, ended up with this abomination

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
Thanks Mike. I also wonder if there are decent alternatives to google maps when it comes to administrative division of municipalities? Tried searching for 松山区域区分, ended up with this abomination
Try Mapion

地図検索ならMapion

You can click through in hierarchical order from largest to smallest area. That should help a bit.

Ratings
Gave Mapion a try. Looks neat, zoom levels are handy and have just the right amount of details per zoom level. But the best part is distinct and legible boundaries of 区、町、丁目 and 番地. I only wish there was a way of telling a building's 号 like in Google Maps.