What's new

Regarding Shinto shrines

4 Apr 2014
First of all i'd be grateful if someone gives me a cue about the newest Shinto shrine in Japan (i.e. the date of establishment being the most recent) The one i managed to find is Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America (founded 1987) There are probably much more recent shrines out there in Japan.

But my main question is: what's the procedure of establishing a Shinto shrine? Where can i read more about it (preferably in English, since i expect it to be a vast text with lots of uncommon vocab, which would be pain in the *** with my current level)
I'm interested in the subject since i imagined some new territories being settled by Japanese (those new volcanic islands for instance) Although i'm aware that the idea is rather preposterous, with depopulation of 田舎 taken into account.

A quick google search result says that there is no "new" shrine that belongs to 神社本庁 at least recently, except 分祀 cases such like Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America you mentioned.
This is not for a new shrine of shintō, but there is a manual/law to establish a new religion.
宗教法人法 第二章 設立

The amount of information on any subject is surprisingly scarce at that site.

This is not for a new shrine of shintō, but there is a manual/law to establish a new religion.
宗教法人法 第二章 設立
Not something i'm interested in right now.

A quick google search result says that there is no "new" shrine that belongs to 神社本庁 at least recently, except 分祀 cases such like Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America you mentioned.
Now that's interesting. In fact that solves half of my question. Thanks, Toritoribe.

I'll carry on hypothesizing about settling shrineless areas. If i come across any interesting information - i'll probably share it here.

I'll carry on hypothesizing about settling shrineless areas.

Good luck with that.

By way of comparison, the number of convenience stores is about 54,000, in this country where you can't throw a rock without hitting a convenience store.

I feel fairly certain the number of shrines doesn't include all the ones people put up at companies, in their yards at home, along the roadside, on mountain trails, on the top of urban buildings, or just about anywhere else you can imagine. If torii were kryptonite, Superman couldn't get within a million miles of Japan.

Good luck with that.

By way of comparison, the number of convenience stores is about 54,000, in this country where you can't throw a rock without hitting a convenience store.

I feel fairly certain the number of shrines doesn't include all the ones people put up at companies, in their yards at home, along the roadside, on mountain trails, on the top of urban buildings, or just about anywhere else you can imagine. If torii were kryptonite, Superman couldn't get within a million miles of Japan.
That's what i'm driving at. Every settled area has shrines nearby, so in order to imagine a shrineless area - it has to be an unsettled one. Actually your reply helped me envision how the process would unfold. Those roadside/mountain trail type of shrines would probably be laid up for a time being.
After all, that's the way it used to be before Buddhism influenced Shinto, bringing about buildings as places of worship (some piece of helpful information from JINJA HONCHO - Association of Shinto Shrines so thank you for the link anyway, Majestic)

Wait, are you referring to shintō shrine, aren't you? There seems to be misunderstanding about the term "shintō".

今日、単に「神道」といった場合には神社神道を指すことが多い。
神道 - Wikipedia

現在では単に「神道」という場合、神社神道を指す。祭祀の場となる神社は日本各地に数多くあるが、そのほとんどが神社本庁によって包括されている。
神社神道 - Wikipedia

After all, that's the way it used to be before Buddhism influenced Shinto, bringing about buildings as places of worship
Shintō buildings have nothing to do with Buddhism.

Wait, are you referring to shintō shrine, aren't you? There seems to be misunderstanding about the term "shintō"

Originally I was referring to shintō shrines in the scope of 神社神道. But after Mike's post i consider the scope beyond 神社神道 as well. To put it simply - i'm trying to imagine how a hypothetical newly settled territory would develop shintō -wise.

Shintō buildings have nothing to do with Buddhism.
Now that's confusing. JINJA HONCHO - Association of Shinto Shrines | About Shrines - Shinto Shrines and Japanese People states that:
"In ancient times, rites were primarily performed outdoors and it was rather rare to have a house-style building as a place for performing rites. In those days, a plot of purified land was chosen and roped off in a square. Following the ceremony a stand of trees was erected as an object to which kami were invited. However, when Buddhism was introduced to Japan, people began worshipping images of Buddha placed in buildings. It is thought that Shinto, being influenced by this style, began to enshrine the kami spirit in a building and this became the popular custom as time went on."

It's just one of hypotheses.
多くの神社に社殿が造営された背景について諸説が述べられた。社会の発展により自然から人格神へと信仰の対象が変わったためとする説、仏教寺院の影響を相互に受けたとする説、武器や貢納物を納めた神庫(ほくら)が先行して存在したとする説、7世紀後半以後に国家が一部の社にのみあった神庫を全国に建設したとする説などがある。
神社 - Wikipedia

神道は、日本人の暮らしの中から生まれた信仰といえます。遠い昔、私たちの祖先は、稲作をはじめとした農耕や漁撈などを通じて、自然との関わりの中で生活を営んできました。自然の力は、人間に恵みを与える一方、猛威もふるいます。人々は、そんな自然現象に神々の働きを感知しました。また、自然の中で連綿と続く生命の尊さを実感し、あらゆるものを生みなす生命力も神々の働きとして捉えたのです。そして、清浄な山や岩、木や滝などの自然物を神宿るものとしてまつりました。やがて、まつりの場所には建物が建てられ、神社が誕生したのです。このように、日本列島の各地で発生した神々への信仰は、大和朝廷による国土統一にともない、形を整えてゆきました。そして、6世紀に仏教が伝来した際、この日本固有の信仰は、仏教に対して神道という言葉で表わされるようになりました。
神社本庁 | 神道への誘い

There are many new residential development areas(新興住宅地) where shrine doesn't exist. The most residents wouldn't care whether they have their shrine in the area or not.

There are many new residential development areas(新興住宅地) where shrine doesn't exist. The most residents wouldn't care whether they have their shrine in the area or not.
Had a look at 田園調布 and 本町 (守谷市) as examples of 新興住宅地. The former has a shrine, the latter has at least four. But i guess you're right about most residents not giving two hoots about lack of shrines in the vicinity.

地域の北部は守谷の旧市街地として古い街並が残る一方で、南部を中心に昭和後期から新興住宅地としての整備も進み、…
------------
かつては当地を中心とした地域を「守谷」と称し、北部は古くは城下町として栄えた地域である。城下町部分は現在も旧市街地としての名残を残しており、その周縁では昭和期より新興住宅地としての開発が行われ、現在も続いている。
本町 (守谷市) - Wikipedia

You assumed the whole area of 本町 is 新興住宅地, right? Actually, the three of the four shrines are in the north area. You should pick up for instance みずき野, the town next to 本町, as an example of 新興住宅地 instead of 本町. The more important point is, however, which is older, the shrine or the development. Don't you think of any possibility that the development was done just near old shrines?

田園調布は、1918年(大正7年)に実業家渋沢栄一らによって立ち上げられた『理想的な住宅地「田園都市」の開発』を目的とする田園都市株式会社により開発、1923年(大正12年)8月から分譲された地域である
田園調布 - Wikipedia

西守稲荷神社の創建は不詳だが、大正十四年二月に他地より現在の地(東京都大田区田園調布1丁目26番地)に遷され祭祀された。
--------
大正期頃、西守稲荷神社付近は「西山谷」と言う地名であり農家十数件が点在しており、その西山谷地域の中央にお祀りされて西山谷地域を守る稲荷神社との趣旨で「西守稲荷神社」と称された。
西守稲荷神社

As you can see above, 田園調布 started to be developed in 1918 and started to sell in 1923. 西守稲荷神社 was moved to the place in 1925, but it's not for the people in the new development area but for the residents who lived there before the development. I don't think a hundred-years-ago is "new" in the first place, though.

It seems to me that you are misunderstanding the function/origin of shrines. Shrines are not indispensable facilities to the residents in a region (well, at least recently).

You assumed the whole area of 本町 is 新興住宅地, right?
Right, i did.

Don't you think of any possibility that the development was done just near old shrines?
Certainly i thought of such possibility, but that's irrelevant to what i'm trying to elicit here. My point is - there is a shrine at a distance acceptable enough to go to there on 初詣 and various 縁日 and 祭り, for every settlement. Wouldn't that be depressing if one had to take a two-hour ferry trip just to make a wish and grab omikuji?

Most Japanese people, including me, would go to shrine only when 初詣. It's 正月, so it's not always a shrine nearby home. It might be the one in hometown during 里帰り, or could be a famous big shrine like 明治神宮. 祭り can be done even without a shrine. Some 新興住宅地 actually do that.
When it's necessary, people would go to the appropriate shrine for the purpose even if it's far away. My uncle was a shipowner and engaged in fishery. He went to 金刀比羅宮 in 四国 almost every year.

Right, i did.

Certainly i thought of such possibility, but that's irrelevant to what i'm trying to elicit here. My point is - there is a shrine at a distance acceptable enough to go to there on 初詣 and various 縁日 and 祭り, for every settlement. Wouldn't that be depressing if one had to take a two-hour ferry trip just to make a wish and grab omikuji?

Have you ever watched has Japanese television around the end of the year? The larger shrines run commercials.

I think coming from a culture with churches may be interfering with your understanding of the nature and function of shrines.

When it's necessary, people would go to the appropriate shrine for the purpose even if it's far away. My uncle was a shipowner and engaged in fishery. He went to 金刀比羅宮 in 四国 almost every year.
I see. Just like students make pilgrimages to 北野天満宮 hoping to succeed in exams, seafarers go to 金刀比羅宮 to petition for safe voyages .

Have you ever watched has Japanese television around the end of the year? The larger shrines run commercials.
Never heard of that before. But sounds like something to be expected from the Japanese (in a good way)

I think coming from a culture with churches may be interfering with your understanding of the nature and function of shrines.
Perhaps.

宗教法人法 第二章 設立

I noticed that the Jinjo Honcho Association of Shinto Shrines site mentions that there is a course one must take and pass to become a Shinto Priest... but it doesn't provide any other information. If anyone could provide more details I would be grateful. I would also be curious if there are any issues with an American becoming a Shinto Priest.

Back
Top Bottom