What's new

reading and writting ability

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
皆さんこんにちは
I'm trying to say in English..
So far my reading is better then my speaking.
Can you please check my attempt. Also I'm not sure if I should use 上手 to express ability or if the nouns I use are correct.
私には今まで、話より読書のほうがいいです。
よろしくお願いします

Last edited:
皆さんこんにちは
Can you please check my attempt. Also I'm not sure if I should use 上手 to express ability or if the nouns I use are correct.
私には今まで、話より読書のほうがいいです。
よろしくお願いします

That sounds more like, "I like reading more than conversation".

(今のところ、)(日本語は)話すのより読むのが上手いです。
Nominalizers are your friend. (の or こと after a verb, to turn it into a noun).

The parts in parentheses can be omitted.

Thanks mikesan,
Is there a particular reason why you use 上手い instead of 上手?

Thanks mikesan,
Is there a particular reason why you use 上手い instead of 上手?

I've never liked to use 上手 in self-reference situations. うまい sounds softer and more 比較的 than 上手, which strikes me as more 絶対的, or at least of having passed a certain cut-off between 上手 and not 上手. Don't take that as gospel, though.

Yes, I think in my case the use of うまい is definitely more appropriate.
ありがとうございました

Yes, I think in my case the use of うまい is definitely more appropriate.
ありがとうございました

What I said may very well be full of s**t, so don't take my personal opinion and usage habit as necessarily being correct.

皆さんこんにちは
私には今まで、話より読書のほうがいいです。
よろしくお願いします
I would say 今のところ日本語は話すより読むほうが得意です or more humbly 今のところ日本語は、話すより読む方がまだましな程度です. 上手 and うまい are rarely used for the speaker themselves since it could sound proudly/boastful.

Thanks everyone, Yes I definitely do not want it to sound like I'm boasting/full of oneself. One other thing if I may,I would like to know if you can use になる with respect to 興味、when saying my interest in Japanese culture began.
私は日本の文化に興味になりました。
Or should it be
私は日本の文化に興味があり始めました。
よろしくお願いします

私は日本の文化に興味になりました。

The verb 持つ is usually used with 興味.

興味を持つようになりました。
興味を持ち始めました。

If talking about others beginning to show an interest in something, use 示す instead of 持つ.

Thanks mikesan,
日本の文化に興味を持つようになりました 。
彼は日本の文化に興味を示し始めました。

You can also use;
日本の文化に興味を持ち始めました。
彼は日本の文化に興味を示すようになりました。
(Plus, the forms 持ち始めていますand ようになっています is possible, too.)

ある is a state "to exist / have an interest", therefore you can't say あり始める here. (始める is attached to action/movement.) Similarly, when you describe "you have an interest", you need to use the form 興味を持っています, not 持ちます, since this -te iru form expresses a state.

You can also use;
日本の文化に興味を持ち始めました。
彼は日本の文化に興味を示すようになりました。
(Plus, the forms 持ち始めていますand ようになっています is possible, too.)

ある is a state "to exist / have an interest", therefore you can't say あり始める here. (始める is attached to action/movement.) Similarly, when you describe "you have an interest", you need to use the form 興味を持っています, not 持ちます, since this -te iru form expresses a state.
Thanks toritoribesan and mikesan,
I think i'll need a little time to digest all that but in the meantime I will try and use
興味を持つようになりました。or 興味を持っています If I am saying from a particular time I started to have a interest. e.g say last year.
去年日本へいきました。それから、日本の文化に興味を持ち始めています . (As it is an ongoing state)

Back
Top Bottom