What's new

Question for people working at Universities

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibai

Kouhai
12 Feb 2015
As a full-timer how many koma would you consider reasonable, I am looking at a position that has 8 Koma. That looks way too many for a PhD to conduct research. Although it is only 4 days a week. What is reasonable these days, I used to be on 6 koma in Japan in the old days and that was fine.

Inane question coming from someone who has worked here in university for 10 years. Answer? 6-10 koma per week are pretty standard, and people do research 7 days a week if they are truly serious about it. Eight koma is very reasonable for a PhD with a research budget, private office and phone, and free Internet access/ILL access to journals.

Now, that said, here are 2 more points you should have already considered.
1) Look at JRECIN web site and see what is the norm. Besides, it's not like you have much of a negotiating position.
2) Go to the ESL Cafe web site or JALT and ask this, because as any English teacher in Japan knows, those are the sites where the target audience is 100 percent teachers, unlike JREF.

ishibai,

I really have to agree with glenski on this. You've represented yourself as knowing quite a lot about both ESL and teaching in Japan, and have in the past pretty much said that looking for jobs on JREC, JACET, etc., is beneath you. And that you'd go direct or something in order to be what you call HOD (head of department, I guess, but I don't really get how that is a translation of some Japanese title that is commonly used here).

Also, fyi, as you look around, possible amount of research money (hardly ever clearly detailed in job ads, apart from comments like 'as per uni regulations') can be all over the place, and can have many strings attached--amounts that may be used for one thing or another (e.g., travel, books, various supplies), and stipulations that what you buy (e.g., books, a computer or ipad) will remain property of the uni when you leave, and so on.

And also-also, while you haven't posted about this, you might not want to go in thinking that late Feb & March, and/or late Aug & Sept will be "free" time when you can disappear and travel. Especially if you are in any way managerial, or even as being a cut above the other english teachers around you.

Last edited:
And also-also-also, these days a 'research day' when you don't have classes is no longer a given, and if you do get a day off you probably won't have much say-so regarding which day of the week it might be, nor will you escape meetings scheduled then.

Tho it may be unique, my uni, in principle, will now never approve FT teachers teaching a couple classes elsewhere--whether on their 'research day' or not (common back in the 90s). It took a while, but management recognised it for the shakedown that it was, so why not have those folks teach a couple extra classes at their own schools rather than giving away the labor they already own?

I'm sure as a managerial type you'll understand the fiscal efficiency of that change. ;)

More: These days a PhD is not very unique. My wife (who only has an MA) was on a hiring committee a little over a year ago--a smallish 県立大. It was for a direct FT position, only 6 koma, no probation period or initial contract.

They were swamped with applications, and tho it hadn't been a requirement, the first thing they did was eliminate everyone who didn't have a PhD in hand. And they still had a couple dozen+ to sort thru.

ishibai,

I really have to agree with glenski on this. You've represented yourself as knowing quite a lot about both ESL and teaching in Japan, and have in the past pretty much said that looking for jobs on JREC, JACET, etc., is beneath you. And that you'd go direct or something in order to be what you call HOD (head of department, I guess, but I don't really get how that is a translation of some Japanese title that is commonly used here).

Also, fyi, as you look around, possible amount of research money (hardly ever clearly detailed in job ads, apart from comments like 'as per uni regulations') can be all over the place, and can have many strings attached--amounts that may be used for one thing or another (e.g., travel, books, various supplies), and stipulations that what you buy (e.g., books, a computer or ipad) will remain property of the uni when you leave, and so on.

And also-also, while you haven't posted about this, you might not want to go in thinking that late Feb & March, and/or late Aug & Sept will be "free" time when you can disappear and travel. Especially if you are in any way managerial, or even as being a cut above the other english teachers around you.

I am sorry, but I never said JREC and JACET is beneath me, or did I say I would go direct whatever that means. Those are the only places to find university jobs in Japan apart from the language teacher's job page I believe.

More: These days a PhD is not very unique. My wife (who only has an MA) was on a hiring committee a little over a year ago--a smallish 県立大. It was for a direct FT position, only 6 koma, no probation period or initial contract.

They were swamped with applications, and tho it hadn't been a requirement, the first thing they did was eliminate everyone who didn't have a PhD in hand. And they still had a couple dozen+ to sort thru.

At my university only people who work in the business department can teach with an MBA, all other departments are PhD. Don't go thinking gulf universities are somehow inferior to Japanese ones. The English departments are much more professionally run, nothing like in Japan where teachers pull out a copy of side by side and play tape recorders. We are high tech and our students need IELTS 6 or 6.5 to even get into the university. That is only reason I wish to move back to Japan as I remember how easy it was to teach there and the research expectations were low if not non-existant, it would be like semi-retirement for me. 6 koma sounds good to me.

Well, Glenski said:
I don't have those answers.

That all depends on what you are talking about. It matters for some things. Just look at JRECIN and you'll see that many job ads don't want people over 35, for example. And, if you are getting up there in age, they won't consider hiring you if they are looking for a long-term position to fill.

I believe I have already explained that.

And you replied:

Yes, I have seen those jobs and wouldn't even bother applying. I like to work for ethical companies, not companies that discriminate based on age. The universities that post things like that on their job ads are an embarrassment to academia and should serve as a red flag to potential employees. Most of those jobs are mid-career/entry-level university positions and I would have more experience and research than the whole hiring committee put together.

Sorry but that sounds like disdain to me.

For your reference, that's post #43 in this thread: Teaching English in Japan with a Master's in English | Page 2 | Japan Forum

...gulf universities(') ... English departments are much more professionally run, nothing like in Japan where teachers pull out a copy of side by side and play tape recorders. We are high tech and our students need IELTS 6 or 6.5 to even get into the university. That is only reason I wish to move back to Japan as I remember how easy it was to teach there and the research expectations were low if not non-existant, it would be like semi-retirement for me. ...

Hmm... QED?

Well, Glenski said:

And you replied:

Sorry but that sounds like disdain to me.

For your reference, that's post #43 in this thread: Teaching English in Japan with a Master's in English | Page 2 | Japan Forum

Disdain for unethical hiring practices , not for JREC or JACET. (Lucky you don't need to take reading comprehension tests to work at a uni in Japan) If you don't want to use JREC or JACET that eliminates all university jobs I only look at those sites as all the other uni job sites are pulling the jobs from those two.

(Lucky you don't need to take reading comprehension tests to work at a uni in Japan)
Pot, meet kettle.

in Japan where teachers pull out a copy of side by side and play tape recorders.
Never heard of any uni teacher ever doing such things. If you had that experience, it only proves that you worked for very low class places. The fact that you want to return to such an existence is appalling. Granted, Japan is not a stellar bed of educational wonder, but to contribute to perpetuating its negative aspects is not something a professional should even think of. You will be doing your students an immense disservice by coming back and "teaching" like that, so if that is your goal, I would politely ask that you stay home instead. There are those of us who are actually striving to improve the situation here.

these days a 'research day' when you don't have classes is no longer a given, and if you do get a day off you probably won't have much say-so regarding which day of the week it might be, nor will you escape meetings scheduled then.
That's ok, as HOD with poor Japanese skills, he will just repeat his earlier performance and miss 90% of what is said in the meetings.

That's ok, as HOD with poor Japanese skills, he will just repeat his earlier performance and miss 90% of what is said in the meetings.

I've tried searching but can't find the thread....

Do you remember the guy in Shikoku who posted he was losing a teaching gig at a university because he hadn't shown any progress at learning Japanese?

Pot, meet kettle.

Never heard of any uni teacher ever doing such things. If you had that experience, it only proves that you worked for very low class places. The fact that you want to return to such an existence is appalling. Granted, Japan is not a stellar bed of educational wonder, but to contribute to perpetuating its negative aspects is not something a professional should even think of. You will be doing your students an immense disservice by coming back and "teaching" like that, so if that is your goal, I would politely ask that you stay home instead. There are those of us who are actually striving to improve the situation here.

Maybe things have changed, but I still have friends working at universities in Japan. One has told me his freshman English class is still based on side by side as the main textbook. And I am certain his university has a better hensachi than yours. I don't even know what university you are at, but I am sure his is better regarded, it is that good. Other university teachers I know tell me they still use tape recorders, do gap fills and the kind of things I was doing 30 years ago. I don't know what you do in your classes, unless you tell me, but since I work in the gulf where the standards are way higher I would probably regard your lessons as old hat and give you a talking to on how to improve if I watched your class and gave you an evaluation, I would probably do the same for all English teachers in Japan. I don't really want to give you an example of the kinds of things we are doing as this is basically what my USP is as an HOD for landing jobs, but I can tell you I have 15 tv screens in each class and we are all BYOD. I could revolutionize the teaching of English at a university in Japan if I wished, so don't think I am some old washed up has been. I wasn't saying I would be teaching using side by side, those were your assumptions. I was just saying I would rather take it easy compared to the things I am doing here.

Let's take these trollish points one by one. I've got the time.

Maybe things have changed, but I still have friends working at universities in Japan. One has told me his freshman English class is still based on side by side as the main textbook.
I'm not surprised considering they hired you.

And I am certain his university has a better hensachi than yours. I don't even know what university you are at
Brilliant logic...not.

I don't even know what university you are at, but I am sure his is better regarded
Please stop trying to provoke me. This remark earns you a report to admin.

Other university teachers I know tell me they still use tape recorders
Pretty unreal considering nobody makes tapes anymore.

I don't know what you do in your classes, unless you tell me, but since I work in the gulf where the standards are way higher I would probably regard your lessons as old hat
Again with the presumptions and attempt at provoking. Give it up. I'm not biting.

and give you a talking to on how to improve if I watched your class and gave you an evaluation, I would probably do the same for all English teachers in Japan.
Now you're making me sleepy.

I don't really want to give you an example of the kinds of things we are doing as this is basically what my USP is as an HOD for landing jobs, but I can tell you I have 15 tv screens in each class and we are all BYOD.
Yawn.

I could revolutionize the teaching of English at a university in Japan if I wished, so don't think I am some old washed up has been.
You said it, I didn't.

I wasn't saying I would be teaching using side by side, those were your assumptions.
Looks like you should take your own advice about reading comprehension.

I was just saying I would rather take it easy compared to the things I am doing here.
Aw, Peter Principle not working for ya? Well, people here are on the alert for certain ilk, just in case you are even half real.

Admin, let's close this thread and let the OP start another. It's been derailed long enough. I've tried to provide helpful info, but it's getting pretty deep in here.

I am going to lock this for ~24 hours at minimum, so everyone can calm down. Don't start it up again elsewhere. In particular, keep the arguing out of threads started by third parties.

In the meantime, everyone can pass the time by (re-)familiarising themselves with the rules:
Forum Rules | Japan Forum

The discussion may continue when the thread is unlocked - with less personal attacks and sweeping generalisations and more citations, thank you.

ishibai,

I take it you work at a university. Would you or Glenski be able to give me some ideas of what salaires are floating around these days for professor rank. It used to be more transparent, but most jobs are as you say as per uni pay scale etc.. What are research budgets like nowadays? The HOD was not the title I was given in Japan, in the middle east we have schools, departments and HODs. In Japan they called me director of English, I can't remember what it was in Japanese, but I was professor rank. My old position in Japan did let me leave during Feb and March as long as I was there for the graduation, same for summer I got around 8 weeks, but the full timers got 6. As long as the testing committee got their entrance exams made, I submitted them and all full-time English teachers took off, which was my descision. I took off one or two days later. I did not see the point of keeping people who were not Japanese in Japan during the vacations if they wished to leave. The morale in the department was really good as faculty had down time, had a chance to meet their families living in their home countries and the Japanese teachers also enjoyed their time off. However a friend working in another university in Japan would only get 2 weeks or so in between semesters, he was at a medical university and seemed to not be bothered by that.

While there isn't any comprehensive listing anywhere that I know, and I would hope that you understand the immense variability, you can find some of this information pretty easily.
Salaries of Tenured Professors -

GaijinPot Forums

Let me google that for you

Tanks I will have a read, gulf salaries are more opaque. How much do you think I should ask for given my credentials? I am extremely out of touch, just want to live in Japan again for the nature and culture and of course golf.

Don't ask, plain and simple. Take what you are offered or not. You know why.

Don't ask, plain and simple. Take what you are offered or not. You know why.

Care to disclose some FT salaries of people you know, or heard of that are professor rank? I can do the same of Qatar is you wish.

Why are you asking such a thing when I have already provided enough info to give you a decent idea of what you seek?

I wouldn't tell you (or anyone) even if I knew. That's private.

And as for Qatar, why should I even care?

Why are you asking such a thing when I have already provided enough info to give you a decent idea of what you seek?

I wouldn't tell you (or anyone) even if I knew. That's private.

And as for Qatar, why should I even care?

It was just reciprocity. Thanks for the link, it seems 15 million would not be out of the question for a head/ director of an English department. I just worry that the Kyushu area may not pay the same as honshu. I assume the housing would be free or a minimal charge?

ishibai,

Stay wherever you are there in the middle east. That's the best place for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom