What's new

Question about modifying adjectives

Yoshie

先輩
19 Apr 2013
I cannot undersand, is 素晴らしく modifying フリーダム in the following sentence? As far as I can understand それはそれは here has the same meaning as 非常に, and it modifies 素晴らしく, so it doesn't seem to me that 素晴らしく modifying フリーダム, but unfortunately I'm not sure about it.

小さい頃の俺は、それはそれは素晴らしくフリーダムだった。

Context:
だが小学生の頃から息をするようにゲームをしてきた俺にとって満足できるものではなかった。
朝起きたらゲーム、朝ご飯を食べながらゲーム、通学中もゲーム、授業中もゲーム、休み時間も放課後も宿題の時間も風呂の間も夕食の時間も歯磨きの間も布団に入ってからもゲーム。

それはそれは素晴らしく、フリーダムだった。

You can use the く form just like くて for "chaining" adjectives.

Thank you very much for your reply. Also is my guess about それはそれは being same as 非常に correct here?

I cannot undersand, is 素晴らしく modifying フリーダム in the following sentence? As far as I can understand それはそれは here has the same meaning as 非常に, and it modifies 素晴らしく, so it doesn't seem to me that 素晴らしく modifying フリーダム, but unfortunately I'm not sure about it.

Context:
だが小学生の頃から息をするようにゲームをしてきた俺にとって満足できるものではなかった。
朝起きたらゲーム、朝ご飯を食べながらゲーム、通学中もゲーム、授業中もゲーム、休み時間も放課後も宿題の時間も風呂の間も夕食の時間も歯磨きの間も布団に入ってからもゲーム。
す‐ばらしい【素晴(ら)しい】
2 驚くほど程度がはなはだしい。ものすごい。「この柿は―・く甘い」「―・くおもしろい本」
すばらしい【素晴(ら)しい】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

すばらしい【素晴らしい】
2 〔ものすごい〕((口)) terrific; ((口)) amazing
今日はいやはや素晴らしい暑さだ
The heat today is really terrific./((口)) This heat is really something (else).
彼の新車は素晴らしくスピードが出る
His new car can go at a terrific speed.
すばらしい【素晴らしい】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - goo辞書

Both それはそれは(extremely) and 素晴らしく(amazingly) modifies フリーダムだった.
フリーダム is actually a noun, but the writer misused it as an adjective フリー.

Ah, I got stuck on "it can't be modifying,that's a noun!". Although I see that my alternate explanation probably doesn't hang together grammatically either.

I wonder - can this pattern of chaining multiple い-adjectives by turning them into adverbs be used in speech, or is it limited to writing (like when chaining verbs by using their stem)? And can you use the same pattern for な-adjectives (<adj>に), or are you restricted to using <adj>で there?

~くて is preferred when speaking colloquially, but those forms are actually used in conversation.
e.g.
あのホテルは新しくて、サービスも素晴らしくて、豪華で、きれいで、快適なところだった。

When 素晴らしい is used as an adverb modifying another adjective, it must be 素晴らしく, not 素晴らしくて.
e.g.
あのホテルは新しくて、素晴らしく豪華で、きれいで、ものすごく快適なところだった。

Back
Top Bottom