What's new

Question about 気がしていた and the quote

Ratings
I've got a couple of questions about the following passage. About 「気がしていた」, does イル the actor for the whole 出来るような気がしていた "To イル it seemed that she could tell even that, if it is 双厳.", or only 出来る, "It seemed that イル could tell even that, if it is 双厳."?
And by そんなことを思っていた does the author meant the general flow of the previous sentences, or only the last one?

イルは一瞬、その事について話す事に、躊躇したようであったが、
すぐに、楽しそうに、双厳に話しはじめる。
長く蔵に閉じこめられ、ほとんど人に会うことがないイルとスイが、
唯一、心を開いて話すことができる桔梗。
そんな桔梗に知られてはならない事・・・。
そんな事ですら、双厳にならイルは話すことが出来るような気がしていた・・・。
それは、イルやスイの、双厳に対する信頼という意味もあったであろうが、
それ以上に、彼女達が桔梗とは違ったものを、双厳に求めていたかもしれない。
双厳の大きいな体、静かな瞳は、イルやスイのすべてを受け止めてくれるようだった。
もし、彼女たちが父親というものが知っていたら、そのイメージを双厳にそのまま重ねていたであろう。
双厳は、楽しそうに、話しはじめたイルを見つめながらそんなことを思っていた

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
The subject who felt like 話すことが出来る is イル, not 双厳. Similarly, the subject who felt 受け止めてくれるようだった can't be 双厳, either. Thus, what そんなこと refers to is only the last sentence; もし、彼女たちが父親というものが知っていたら、そのイメージを双厳にそのまま重ねていたであろう。.
(The narration is written from the viewpoint of イル or the writer, and then it suddenly changes to 双厳's viewpoint in the last two sentences. It's a little bit confusing, indeed.)

Ratings
Thank you very much for help.
I'm still not sure about 気がしていた though. If I'm understanding correctly your reply "the subject who felt like 話すことが出来る is イル", 気がしていた refers to イル? So the sentence could be rewritten to something like this - そんな事ですら、双厳になら(イルには)イルは話すことが出来るような気がしていた・・・。?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
イルは話すことが出来るような気がしていた shows that イル is the subject of 話すことが出来るような気がしていた by itself. Unlike someone elseには、イルは話すことが出来るような気がしていた, イルにはイルは話すことが出来るような気がしていた sounds odd. (It's similar to saying 私には私は英語が下手だと思う.)
イルには話すことが出来るような気がしていた is valid, but は works as a contrastive marker. Furthermore, it can be misinterpretad as "to talk to イル" since に can indicate the target of 話す.
If it's obvious from the context that the speaker/writer is another person than 双厳 and イル, he/she can be the subject of 気がしていた, though. (This is not the case, of course.)