What's new

PM Spam

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
15 Mar 2002
Is everybody getting this junk?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427508805.455708.jpg

Ahhh crap ! I had the money order all ready to send. I guess it's true about us old people being gullible , LOL.

Don't know how you guys detect spam.. but I've been unable to send direct messages or start conversations all day.. it keeps saying my messages contain spam..

wow! Nigerian love letters in PMs now?
not fair not every scam letter is Nigerian... really not fair.. might be a neighbouring country or even an European

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know how you guys detect spam.. but I've been unable to send direct messages or start conversations all day.. it keeps saying my messages contain spam

You signed up less than 30 minutes ago. How is it possible you couldn't send messages "all day long"?

not fair not every scam letter is Nigerian... really not fair.. might be a neighbouring country or even an European

We track IP addresses. It is fairly easy to establish where spammers post from. Your post was caught in the moderation queue too, by the way.

You signed up less than 30 minutes ago. How is it possible you couldn't send messages "all day long"?
That was me expressing my frustration. Did not mean the whole day.

We track IP addresses. It is fairly easy to establish where spammers post from. Your post was caught in the moderation queue too, by the way.

So I was caught in the mod queue, I hope it was not because of my ip address,?? .

And about

And about the inability to send messages I did not mean all day, , I was just expressing the frustration, and it actually prevents me from sending messages, I have to try at least twice to get through

Your IP appears on existing blacklists:
Email Blacklist Check - See if your server is blacklisted

This means that spam has been received at some point from your IP (not here specifically, more generally, I'm not sure which lists we use).

Especially common if you're on a shared network (school, university, public wifi).

That's going to give you problems more than just on here, unfortunately.

Thanks that info helped, I was wondering why I could not access some sites. Just tried accessing craiglist.org, and I encountered the same problem.

Could we please make it so people who have just joined the forum can't send PMs for a few days or until they have made forum posts?

I get tired of receiving PMs from people who joined for the sole purpose of asking via PM questions that really should be asked in a forum post. There was some nutball a few days ago who PMed multiple people asking everyone to translate some "very private" documents which were nothing of the sort. I hate getting PMs from fresh members because it is almost a sure bet they have contacted multiple people, have them all needlessly wasting time and effort duplicating each other's work, and they never hang around and participate in the forum anyway.

I got "touched" by the same person.

Troll: "Please help me translate some highly personal documents - not meant to be shown to anybody else."
Me: "OK, I'll take a look"
Since the documents were mainly specifications, I pumped out a translation
Troll: "Thank you so much. Since you did such a great job, here are 6 more pages for you to translate"
Me: "You know, I think I've already done enough translation for free for you, better you give these pages to a professional translator"
Troll: "I don't see why you can't help me!"

On another forum where I moderate we have a rule of 3 posts before PMs get activated (and they must be substantial/genuine posts - not necromancing three old threads with 'i agree').

It rarely interferes with actual people (and if there's an immediate need for PM for some reason then we drop the 'substantial' requirement and just get them to reply to their own thread with 'I understand'). It does cut down hugely on the spam of both the 'actual spam' and 'clueless newbie' types.

Nigerian love letter is a blanket term that is generally accepted for these kinds of remittance scams regardless of the origin (It's named because of the large volume of scams originating in Nigeria). They're also known as 419 scams. 419 Eater - The largest scambaiting community on the planet!

People still use terms like "Indian burn" and "Chinese fire drill." Get over it.

On another forum where I moderate we have a rule of 3 posts before PMs get activated (and they must be substantial/genuine posts - not necromancing three old threads with 'i agree'). It rarely interferes with actual people (and if there's an immediate need for PM for some reason then we drop the 'substantial' requirement and just get them to reply to their own thread with 'I understand'). It does cut down hugely on the spam of both the 'actual spam' and 'clueless newbie' types.

We had similar rules in place when we were still using vBulletin. I have now disabled Private Conversations for new members without posts.

An update on this one: registered users with 5 posts will now be promoted automatically to "Kouhai" status, allowing them to start and engage in Private Conversations. More info on user promotions later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom