Votes: 4 40.0%
  • That only one Japanese person complained

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • That you felt good even one Japanese person complained

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • That apparently none of the foreign passengers understood it

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
I think the conductor has probably been sufficiently beaten up over this already.

From Mark Twain's "Traveling with a Reformer"

Then he quoted with admiration the conduct of a certain division superintendent of the Consolidated road, in a case where a switchman of two years' experience was negligent once and threw a train off the track and killed several people. Citizens came in a passion to urge the man's dismissal, but the superintendent said:

'No, you are wrong. He has learned his lesson, he will throw no more trains off the track. He is twice as valuable as he was before. I shall keep him.'

Travelling with a Reformer by Mark Twain

Last edited:
I agree - I'm not baying for the blood of the conductor, but there's no harm in applying a bit of gaiatsu to make such events less likely to occur in future.

Actually, I am surprised (and glad) that at least one person complained.

I believe it is safe to assume that the sentiment voiced by the male passenger and the conductor was shared by a majority of the Japanese passengers.

They can't allow gaijins to run wild, without warning people.

The railway company's position that it was 区別 rather than 差別 makes you wonder how they failed to think up "separate but equal" and implement gaijin-only cars (at the rear of the train, of course) as a solution.

I've witnessed people in Japan saying or doing 差別 things so many times and then immediately and peremptorily say "Oh, it's not 差別....I like foreigners!" without even having been called out on it, fully aware of the wrongness of what they have just said or did and apparently thinking that the element of hate is necessary for something to be discrimination and the only thing that makes it repugnant. I don't give a good goddamn if you hate my stinking guts because I'm a foreigner....just so long as you don't treat me differently for being one.

Of course...they could implement a leash law or require us all to be inside kennels when on public transport, I suppose.

Plus then I don't have to play the you sit, no you sit, no I insist you sit game with the other guy my age while some young Japanese whippersnapper sneaks in and sits down.

Screw the 外人 standing next to me, I'm sitting.

Can't decide on my answer to the poll...

You and your ten dollar words... I bet the cat taught it to you!

image.jpeg

Meh, who really cares? Starting to sound like every other politically correct country in the world.

You cared enough to revive a dead thread to let us know you don't care...

Nice to see you again. By some strange coincidence it was only three or four hours ago I was wondering how you are and why you haven't been with us for so long. I hope you have been well.

Back
Top Bottom