What's new

Please help me translate!

I am getting a tattoo done with japanese text, and as you can imagine I want to get the spelling right. The text is supposed to be a personal twist on the saying by Descartes, I think therefore I am - which in japanese is 我思う,故に
我あり - which I want to turn into "I dream therefore I am".
The "dreaming" is meant to signify playfulness and creativity, and a sense that my imagination is who I really am. My question is really which of the following is more accurate for this, or is there a better way to say it?
夢を見る, 故に我あり
or
夢を持つ, 故に我あり
Very grateful for your thoughts on this!

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,537
The original is 我思う、故に我あり, so 我夢見る、故に我あり would be more suitable.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
Why not get a skunk saying "I stink, therefore I am"?

joadbres

八方凡人
Ratings
1 53
It looks better in chinese: 我思故我在
I agree that it looks better in Chinese. In fact, based on the way this saying is expressed in Japanese, it probably entered the language as a translation from Chinese. For the message you want, you could express it as 我梦想故我在 or 我做梦故我在, or just 我梦故我在, which I think has a more traditional feel, consistent with the original, and is nice because it exactly parallels the English version. (Of course, you should confirm with a native Chinese speaker before inking, if you end up going this route...) I suggest using the modern, simplified Chinese version of the 'dream' character, as I have above, as it is much less cluttered, and therefore more suitable for a tattoo.