What's new

Please Help me Translate These 2 Sentences

Fuubuu

後輩
23 Aug 2014
いや、アキちゃん休むなら遅くとも十六時半までには入ったほうが良くないですか?
My attempt: If Aki-chan were to rest until 16:30 at the latest, then would it be better not to come?
最近入ってきた、真奥にとって色々な意味で特別な存在である新人研修を見るようになってから、真奥のストレスはこれまでにないほど溜まっていた。
I am confused about this part: 色々な意味で特別な存在である新人研修を見るようになってから.....
Is 「色々な意味で特別な存在である」 describing 「新人研修」?
My attempt: For various reasons, it holds a special existence, to the Maou who had recently joined. As a result of watching over the training of the newcomers, Maou's stress began to accumulate.

Are my attempts way off?
Thank you for your help!

You should provide us the context. As you would know, Japanese is a context-driven language, so the subject of 入る can be Aki, I, you, we or third person depending on the context.
I googled your sentences and got a result that the subject is "I".
Notice that it's 十六時半までには入る, and not 十六時半まで休む.
休む doesn't mean "to rest" there.
やすむ【休む】
3 〔欠勤・欠席する〕be absent from, stay away from;
私は昨日学校[勤め]を休んだ
I was absent from school [work] yesterday.
私は音楽の時間を休んだ
I did not attend the music class./〔さぼった〕I cut the music class.
来週私は1日休みます
I'll have to take a day off next week.
やすむ【休む】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

I also found that you misread 新人研修.
Notice that a comma is put after 最近入ってきた. It shows that this clause modifies 新人, not 真奥.
Unlike なっから, なってから doesn't explain the reason.
見る means "to take in charge of ~" in that case.
みる【見る】
8 〔世話する〕look after, take care of ((a person)); 〔看護する〕attend to
赤ん坊の面倒をよく見る
take good care of a baby
両親の老後の面倒を見る
「look after [attend to] one's parents in their old age
経理を見る
be in charge of the account books
みる【見る】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

So would the first sentence be something like: If Aki-Chan is absent then would it be bad if I came at 16:30 at the latest?
I am a still a bit confused about the second part: 最近入ってきた、真奥にとって色々な意味で特別な存在である新人の研修を見るようになってから、真奥のストレスはこれまでにないほど溜まっていた。
From what I read, である is another form of です or だ. So in that part, is 最近入ってきた、真奥にとって色々な意味で特別な存在である a separate sentence from 新人の研修を見るようになってから、真奥のストレスはこれまでにないほど溜まっていた。?
My 2nd attempt: To Maou, for various reasons, the person who had recently arrived held a special presence. After watching over the newcomer's training, Maou's stress began accumulating.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Do not hesitate to ask what you don't understand.;)

~ほうが良くないですか? is more likely a suggestion "Isn't it better ~?"
Notice that's 十六時半までに, not 十六時半に.
Isn't it better I come until 16:30 at the latest?

As I wrote in my previous post, 最近入ってきた modifies 新人. 真奥にとって色々な意味で特別な存在である, as well. Thus, "the person" in your translation refers to the newcomer.

Would it be something like: After watching over the training of the recently arrived newcomer, who held a special presence to Maou, Maou's stress began to accumulate.
Thanks Toritobe!

You got it!👍
(As I wrote, 見る means more likely "to be in charge of training the newcomer", though.)

Back
Top Bottom