What's new

plain form + んだ ・ てくんな ・ ~ておく

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

I recently re-read a bit of よつばと and I'd like to ask a few questions.

1)
GDvik1g.jpg
In the image above, Yotsuba says in the last panel "あははは!よつばのはすぐおちるんだー".
Does this mean "Mine fell immediately"? (the other possibility being "Mine ALWAYS falls immediately")

2) ジャンボ:なんだお客さんじゃねーか。まぁゆっくりしてってくんな
Janbo, as the clerk of the flower shop, is saying this to Fuuka. Is ゆっくりしてってくんな = ゆっくりしていってくれな?

3)
GDvoecz.jpg
The owner of the shop, Janbo's father, decides to give Yotsuba the flowers for 10円.
In the pannel in the middle Janbo asks "お!?やっとくか!?". Why does he use ~ておく here?

I mean, this ~ておく probably means "to do in advance/for the sake of the future", but I still don't see what sense it makes in this context. My guess is "to give out the flowers in advance, before they wilt".

I would say for 1) it's likely it's meant to be that current situation since in the previous panel hers fell right away.

1)
The latter. The present tense shows habitual action there.

2)
くんな is more likely just くれ.

3)
Yes, the father's やっとけ in the next panel is also the same.

1) Oh, I see. I also guessed based on the panels before. And I was thinking the plain form could work as past because she presents the "cause/reason" for which she is laughing.
But looking again at the previous discussion regarding this topic, I can see how this sentence is different.

2) Ok. It is surprising, though, that you could distort the pronunciation of くれ so much that you end up with くんな.

3) Thank you! I really didn't expect my guess to be right.

Back
Top Bottom