What's new

Part-timer paying into pension

Where did you read about it?
I was quite a long time ago, perhaps 10 years or more, and it was a government site in English. I will try to find it, but I can't promise it will still be there. But it was very clear about this resetting of the clock.

Where did you read about it?

This might be related, although it applies to 特別永住者, which ain't us.

F7FACD0C-85C6-49DC-B8A1-52B0F538E552.jpeg

I was quite a long time ago, perhaps 10 years or more, and it was a government site in English. I will try to find it, but I can't promise it will still be there. But it was very clear about this resetting of the clock.

The reason I find this resetting of the clock strange is because I have PR and nothing changed regarding my pension situation.

As for the minimum contribution period being reduced from 25 years to 10 years, the government did this because prior to the change any foreigner coming to Japan who was over 40 years of age, could use their age as a reason not to join because they would not have gained the minimum number of years by retirement age.

Since the government has reduced the minimum number of years to 10 years, it means that foreigners up to 55 years of age will have to pay into the system.

As for the minimum contribution period being reduced from 25 years to 10 years, the government did this because prior to the change any foreigner coming to Japan who was over 40 years of age, could use their age as a reason not to join because they would not have gained the minimum number of years by retirement age.

So they made this huge change affecting millions of Japanese people and allowing God knows how many of them to start drawing money out of the system they previously were ineligible for...all so they could collect chump change from a tiny handful of foreigners who move here when they're middle-aged?

So they made this huge change affecting millions of Japanese people and allowing God knows how many of them to start drawing money out of the system they previously were ineligible for...all so they could collect chump change from a tiny handful of foreigners who move here when they're middle-aged?

The amount anyone can receive from a pension after 10 years is also chump change as you put it.

The amount anyone can receive from a pension after 10 years is also chump change as you put it.

That wasn't the question. Are you saying they changed the system for the purpose of getting foreigners who moved here when they're middle-aged? That's what it sounded like you were saying.

Last edited:
That wasn't the question. Are you saying they changed the system for the purpose of getting foreigners who moved here when they're middle-aged? That's what it sounded like you were saying.

The government is looking to expand care workers, do you think these will be young workers or middle aged?

I think the government is looking at anyway it can to increase tax/pension receipts.

The government is looking to expand care workers, do you think these will be young workers or middle aged?

I think the government is looking at anyway it can to increase tax/pension receipts.

Would there be any point asking the same simple question for a third time? Or would you just dodge it again?

Were you under the impression the 25 years to 10 years reduction only applied to foreigners?

Please explain why you think they changed it?

I wouldn't think to venture an opinion on it without knowing at least a little bit about it, so I would go look up some information as to why they changed before I offered an absurd opinion worded as a statement of fact.

The people at 年金の受給資格期間が10年に短縮されると、被保険者にはどんな影響がありますか? | くらしすと-暮らしをアシストする情報サイト say the purpose was to reduce the number of people who receive no pension whatsoever,. I couldn't find anything there about wishing to swell pension fund resources on the backs of freshly arrived middle-aged gaijins. I don't think they'd collect enough to offset pension payouts to the estimated 640,000 people who would newly become eligible to receive pension payments from the scheme, though.

Information from the MHLW seems to indicate the same purpose, again with no mention of middle-aged freshly arrived gaijins:

新たに年金を受けとれる方が増えます(受給資格期間25年→10年) |厚生労働省

3997540A-A9E9-4B89-A14B-1372C3EC9816.jpeg

Can we please leave behind the era in which gaijins just pull misinformation out of their aśśes and spread it around to one another expressed as statements of fact? We're in the Information Age; let's start acting like it.

Can we please leave behind the era in which gaijins just pull misinformation out of their aśśes and spread it around to one another expressed as statements of fact? We're in the Information Age; let's start acting like it.

I would counter that and say do you believe everything government tell you?

I would counter that and say do you believe everything government tell you?

You're right. They decided to change national policy and make 640,000 more people eligible to draw money out of the system just so they could screw middle-aged expats, the bulk of whom wouldn't sign up due to mutual arrangements between Japan and their home countries, or who would leave after a few years and claim a payback, or who just wouldn't sign up because of the general gaijin tendency toward self-exemption.

You have some source for your contention other than the depths of your own rectum? Since this isn't your first example of tinfoil hattery I really don't expect a rational reply.

You're right. They decided to change national policy and make 640,000 more people eligible to draw money out of the system just so they could screw middle-aged expats, the bulk of whom wouldn't sign up due to mutual arrangements between Japan and their home countries, or who would leave after a few years and claim a payback, or who just wouldn't sign up because of the general gaijin tendency toward self-exemption.

You have some source for your contention other than the depths of your own rectum? Since this isn't your first example of tinfoil hattery I really don't expect a rational reply.

I would go on, but if you are going to be rude there is no point.

Some related information from 2006. Not sure if anything has changed since then.

Back in January 2009, I wrote on a different forum the following:
Once you get PR, you can go to city hall and reset the timing on your pension payment scheme. It can go back 20 years, even if you weren't living and working here, leaving you automatically eligible to collect pension when you go into city hall. Problem is, the amount you receive is still based only on the time you worked here.
Unfortunately, I do not have a link which I read from the government that supports this, and I think government links about pension (written in English, anyway) have been deleted or rewritten anyway.

But the point is this -- go to your city hall office and ask what the situation is. (and stop crying things like "Do you believe everything the government says?" That only makes you sound like Alex Jones from InfoWars.)

Some related information from 2006. Not sure if anything has changed since then.

I think you should read that article properly, it only affects those foreigners who gain PR and then work outside Japan. PR makes no difference to the pension of those foreigners who never work outside Japan after gaining PR.

Taken from article:-
In theory, then, a foreign resident who pays into the Japanese pension system for 10 years, becomes a permanent resident, and then works overseas for the next 15 years while returning to Japan only to renew their re-entry permits will receive a pension from Japan.

You first have to consider that the article is now out of date.

I do not need to go to city hall to check, as its handled by the pensions office, which is not part of the city office.

Last edited:
The reason for the change is in the name of the law, the full text of which may be seen here:

公的年金制度の財政基盤及び最低保障機能の強化等のための国民年金法等の一部を改正する法律

Text searches for:

外国人
外国籍
外国

Yielded precisely ZERO results in the law which was passed for the purpose of causing newly arrived middle-aged foreigners to join the pension scheme. It is amazing the lengths the government will go to in order to hide stuff. I mean, we'd be too few to constitute a voting block that politicians had to worry about ticking off even if we had the vote, which we don't. That goes beyond the merely clever; that's being devious for the sake of being devious. Goodness knows there's no need for it. Especially not when the gaijin community saw right through their little ruse anyway.

I think you should read that article properly, it only affects those foreigners who gain PR and then work outside Japan. PR makes no difference to the pension of those foreigners who never work outside Japan after gaining PR.
What was it about "related info" that you didn't understand? Yes, it may very well be outdated by now, but that's why I also wrote "Not sure if anything has changed since then" (which you copied!).

It also sounds as if you are unwilling to go see someone official about any of this. Fine. Be stubborn and just go by your instincts and what you might have randomly picked up here and there. Seeing any official office which deals with these matters makes far more sense than trying to talk to random people on an internet forum. Go, or suffer if there are any negative consequences. I'm done here.

What was it about "related info" that you didn't understand? Yes, it may very well be outdated by now, but that's why I also wrote "Not sure if anything has changed since then" (which you copied!).

It also sounds as if you are unwilling to go see someone official about any of this. Fine. Be stubborn and just go by your instincts and what you might have randomly picked up here and there. Seeing any official office which deals with these matters makes far more sense than trying to talk to random people on an internet forum. Go, or suffer if there are any negative consequences. I'm done here.

Notice the pattern, you make a case and then say your done, making it quite clear that you believe you are correct.

Well yes things have changed since that article from 2006, remember in 2012 the residence system came into existence.

I am not being stubborn I understand the pension system, I do not need to go to the pension office as I am fully aware of how the system works and what pension I am entitled too in the future.

If you remember it was the OP that wanted pension advice not me.

That's because you never had a job that got you on the Kousei Nenkin and you obviously didn't pay into the Kokumin Nenkin very long. That and/or you were on reduced contributions due to having no income because you didn't hit a lick at a snake the whole time you've been here. The averages paid out are 147,000 for the former and 55,000 for the latter. Those figures are per month, not every two months.

It is possible to receive up to a maximum of 65,000 per month on the Kokumin Nenkin and up to a maximum of 100,000 per month on the Kousei Nenkin. So from a theoretical maximum possible of 165,000 per month you're getting about 10% of that....1/4 of the Kokumin and nothing from the Kousei.

One should not use your case as a basis on which to get some idea about Japanese government pension plans.

Not sure how many years I've paid into it, but was paying into up to the age of 60. I do understand that each one that pays into it, the amount will vary. Either I've been misled on that "fact" that koukumin is paid on every even month and it is paid for 2 months at a time and the payment around 33000 yen every 2 months was misled to me also. But I'll be finding out about it myself at the end of the summer. I don't expect to get no more then 20000 yen per month minus that old age insurance they now take out of ones pension.

Back
Top Bottom