What's new

Part-time on student visa after graduation

frna

先輩
14 Sep 2011
hey,
I recently graduated from a Japanese university with my visa not expiring until the end of December. I know that as a student, you're allowed to work up to 28 hours part-time if your request to do so is granted by the immigration office. I did not make this request yet, and did not work during my 2 years here..

I've been looking for work and found one possible interested company, though they want me to do a month trial before deciding whether or not to sponsor a visa and hire me full time. Is it possible for me to still make the request for part time work at the immigration office although I already graduated? As I said before, my visa is still valid according to my passport and foreign residency card.

Regardless of what is stamped in your passport, your student visa may not be considered valid once you're no longer engaged in the activities listed on your visa (see this information from IUJ for example) - i.e. your visa says you're in Japan to study, your study is done.

Talk to Student Services/International Office/whoever has been responsible for you at your university. Ask them about a "Designated Activity Visa" - I believe if you have the funds to support yourself you can change from a student visa to this (which will give you more time to job-hunt - six months). This PDF from TUJ suggests that you can apply for part-time work under the Designated Activity Visa, when applying for it, and you'll have the 28 hours a week if you get it. However, they don't generally support applications unless you apply within 30 days of graduation, so in case your university has similar restrictions you should get a move on.

Thank you for your reply.
I did talk to the student service office once, they told me about the visa you're referring to. Either way, I don't have enough funds to request such a visa. I have enough funds to stay until the expiration date of my student visa, but not longer. Am I being here illegally? What should I do in such case? I thought that the visa is valid until stated.

I know it is the last place anybody ever thinks about inquiring about immigration questions and I feel silly for even mentioning it, but have you considered asking Immigration?

I went to the school today for counselling. As with many other schools there's a lawyer company partnered with the school. I explained my case (visa date on residence card expiring in December).
He recommended me to switch to a designated activities visa (job hunting) as soon as possible. I asked him how much time I have to do so, and he said that if it's within the expiration date on my residence card, legally it's okay.
I also asked him about the funds I have to show, he said that if I can show that I get money monthly (about 10万) from my parents then that is enough. It seems that a lump sum is not a _requirement_ (though obviously having a lump sum increases your chances to get the visa change approved).

Does anyone know if I could do an unpaid internship with the company on my current visa?

Back
Top Bottom