What's new

Part-Time Jobs For 18/19 Year Old

sukarro

Kouhai
10 Oct 2015
I will be living in Japan for just over 6 months. My main worry is my finances. I do not require a Japanese work visa as I am half-Japanese (hence have citizenship), so that saves a lot of hassle for both myself and employers. My proficiency in the language is limited.

Any suggestions for part-time jobs in Japan for someone my age with limited language ability? Please feel free to put out any idea, the more out there the better.

THANK YOU FOR ANY REPLIES!

I will be living in Japan for just over 6 months. My main worry is my finances. I do not require a Japanese work visa as I am half-Japanese (hence have citizenship), so that saves a lot of hassle for both myself and employers. My proficiency in the language is limited.

Any suggestions for part-time jobs in Japan for someone my age with limited language ability? Please feel free to put out any idea, the more out there the better.

THANK YOU FOR ANY REPLIES!

What's your interest, amount you are looking for per month, what location are you going to be living at here in japan?

If you are near or in a college town with lots of activity, part time job signs might be posted. Also try Hello Works employment agency. They may have a job that maybe of interest to you. Here the wages are about 7.60 yen an hour and up to about 10.50 yen an hour for late night work.

We've been hearing about your limited Japanese ability and this trip for a solid year now...and never once seen you in the Learning Japanese subforum. How seriously are we supposed to take your situation?
Hey Mike! Thank you for always being prompt in replying to my discussions.
Currently, my situation is that I will be departing for Japan on 1st November. I have free accommodation (not with family) sorted, various events planned and have some commission based work available, however the pay is very limited. Language-wise, my ability is still not at a level where I can find a job, or at least one in retail which is what I'd love. I posted a discussion asking about it a while back and it was very helpful in keeping me realistic. As far as casual communication, my pronunciation is good, I have a large vocabulary, however struggle with sentence forming as well as reading and writing. I'm now very much resigned to the fact that I won't be able to get to the level to get a service-based job, however I am very much content with my language abilities as I can still talk with all my Japanese friends (thanks in part to their patient and helpful natures). This discussion is really aimed towards finding a small part-time job to simply bolster a few extra funds. In the future I will focus on getting my Japanese up to scratch so that I can get a full-time job, however that 's many years away. I have constantly been messaging various places for work and was very pleased that Hollister (a clothes company/chain of stores) in Koshien was willing to pay for me to learn the language if I decided to work full-time with them. Sadly, I have university next year so it didn't work with my schedule. But, that's likely a route that I'll strongly consider in the future.
Thank you once again for replying! Please continue to support me during this journey in Japan!

What's your interest, amount you are looking for per month, what location are you going to be living at here in japan?

If you are near or in a college town with lots of activity, part time job signs might be posted. Also try Hello Works employment agency. They may have a job that maybe of interest to you. Here the wages are about 7.60 yen an hour and up to about 10.50 yen an hour for late night work.
Thank you so much!! I will check them all out. I am going to be primarily living in Kameoka which is relatively close to Kyoto. I know a few students at the university, so I'll see if they know about any places where they are listing jobs. As far as money, I am quite happy with minimum wage. It is just something to maintain my funds for my stay and is not intended to be anything long term. I've been able to find a few websites which list various jobs in the Kansai region, however I'm very much unsure on whether they require language ability. Would you say teaching jobs require fluent Japanese as well as fluent English?
Thank you so much for replying! That was really helpful!

Let us know what you get. I am skeptical of your odds.

Teaching most students does not require fluency at all. Look at how poorly most native English speakers do with Japanese. But to hire you as a language teacher at your age is not something I have confidence in.

I don't know if Kansai is the same, but in Tokyo it seems that every third shop/restaurant is looking for staff. They're invariably 900/1000 yen an hour jobs, an increasingly large number of them being filled by people from other Asian countries with non-native Japanese ability. So I can't imagine you having any problems, just learn the set keigo phrases and you'll be fine.

I would say you are over worrying it. At least you will be able to get work in a restaurant or convenience store for 800 - 1000 JPY per hour.
with a little luck, charm and footwork you may be able to get something better. (If your icon is your pic) you are good enough looking to be a wedding model- Basically you do demo weddings for prospective couples and you get married 3-5 times per day on a good day - about 3,000 yen per wedding. You just need to be 180 cm tall or taller.

(weekends only) wedding chapels are often looking for grooms

Back
Top Bottom