What's new

Other Interests

rickinto

後輩
30 Jul 2002
So aside from learning Japanese.....What other interests do people on this forum have.

Me, I am a Masters swimmer, hold a Brown Belt in Shorinryu Karate, and I am trying to make more time to be active in the Japanese Cultural Centre, here in my City.

Next......

Well, music is the center of my life and it's not limited to Japanese music. I can listen to practicly anything.

I also make music myself, although i can't play any instrument. I'm just working with synthesizers, sequencers and drumcomputers.

My current mission is to score a big international hit, so i can get rid of my dayjob. 👏

Jonathan...that is the focus of my time...he is 3 and fabulous.

Other than that, I put a little time into Aikido, running, Japanese (nihongo), and try to spend a little time with my wife of 7 years (this year in Oct.)

I am a computer monkey by trade.

I a full-time Mother at the minute of two brilliant kids, lucy age5, (I call her Lou bell), Kevin age 4 (I call him my little Seiko, hehe), and they are a complete handful, believe me!!! Like samuriatora, I spend as much time with my family as possible.
The only real pass time I have would be here on the board, which I enjoy greatly. When the kids are full time at school, I should soon be able to enjoy the freedom hehe and possibly get back to judo, which was a passion of mine for years.🙂

I'm addicted to my mac.

I also fart around with Perl and web page work. Another passion used to be cars, but ... with baby on the way, life has more important duties.

And of course, reading. I'm reading "Syncronicity, soul making, and physics" or something like that ... an off shot of C.G. Jung. I'm always trying to improve and better myself. Many folks used to say I was such a brat. Hmmm, I wonder about now :)

@ Moyashi to Deb
I second the not having time for much...moyashisan has no idea the joys instore for him with a new baby...(wink).

Lisa and I never wanted to have children and then after 4 years of NOT trying...we were pleasently suprised and decided to take on the responsibility of a baby.

Now, I wouldn't trade him for the world.

@moyashi
planning on having more than one???

My wife at one time mentioned 3.

:) we weren't trying but trying ... the gods chose the time.

I gave up my G4 tower with 2 17" monitors and oodles of gadgets to make space for baby thiings. I'm now on an iBook 600 14".

I don't regret this move.
I'm glad that I can keep a computer and do my little share of giving up.

Yes, I'm looking forward very much to being a papa. Hmmm ... if it's a boy ... woooo the wonders. A girl ... I'm going to have to learn some things. Either way, I'm very joy joy :)

oh boy lets see...um i have no child (thank you god! i'm just a little too young for anything like that)
my main focus is school, i was in Air Cadets so i use to spend a lot of my time doing military type things.....um i love to travel though the last time i went anywhere was Italy and France last march break...
i love to sing kareoke, i have a major passion for animals and photography....i don't have a job thanx to school
like i said school is the big thing right now i'm just getting myself ready to move on Aug 29, so i'm a little nervous :) and i just bought my flipping $304 winter jacket....... -_-

@ moyashi
Do you have names picked out???

We went with Jonathan Sebastian. Try to give him something to live up to...lol

John is a family name and has been in the family for about 9 generations. I am John, my dad is Micheal John, Grandfather was Jon...so on and so forth

@ $304 for a jacket???? why's that?

@names
Wife mentioned Rei (sounds like Ray) and Ereina (sounds like Elleina?) for a girl. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate my grandparent's names .... Arwin Paul Bruno and Evelyn Sophia .... not going so well here. I have my grandfather's first name of Gerhard for my middle name.

hmmm a boy ... Rei Bruno ... I like sound. Although Bruno has a pretty rough ring to it.

Lol .. my mother's name Karin Ingeborg ... hmmm ... Ingeborg is pretty rough to work with but Karin or even Karen works in Japanese :)

My case wasn't really a name to live up to but a name to learn how to spell and fit on all those short lines :) .... Japan finally increased the number of characters that I can use on my license so I'm no long C.G. but now Carsten G. hehe .... great.

Names, I'm gonna run a check through German names and see if I can't find any that I like. I like the Swiss name of "Kai" for a boy but my buddy here already stole that.

cheers

believe me $304 for a winter jacket in Canada is a very good idea especially if you'll be camping out in the middle of winter.

Originally posted by moyashi
@names
Wife mentioned Rei (sounds like Ray) and Ereina (sounds like Elleina?) for a girl. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate my grandparent's names .... Arwin Paul Bruno and Evelyn Sophia .... not going so well here. I have my grandfather's first name of Gerhard for my middle name.

hmmm a boy ... Rei Bruno ... I like sound. Although Bruno has a pretty rough ring to it.

Lol .. my mother's name Karin Ingeborg ... hmmm ... Ingeborg is pretty rough to work with but Karin or even Karen works in Japanese :)

Names, I'm gonna run a check through German names and see if I can't find any that I like. I like the Swiss name of "Kai" for a boy but my buddy here already stole that.

Rei Bruno, now that's a name for a born soccer star.
:)

Bruno is Italian by the way.

Ingeborg is a great name. Makes me think of strong Scandinavian women, valkyries. Karin is still very popular in Austria. Erwin for a boy isn't, on the other hand. Definitely out at the moment, like most of the typical "German" names (Karl, Hans, Heinz, Heinrich, Adolf, Gerhard, Erhard, Konrad, Walter etc).

My advice: don't make it sound too German, hehe.

@jacket
Oh, I get it now. Multi-use type.

@names,
That's the problem right now. Not too German, Not too Japanese and Not too American.

I better start hitting hte name sites soon....

Sorry moyashi sensei...didn't mean to get you soo much advice...LOL

Bruno is good for soccer or Boxing if he comes to the states...lol.

@Name site.
we were up in the air about 2 different names. Jonathan Sebastian and Jonathan Xavier...we made a last minute choice based on what he looked like...a Jonathan Sebastian.

no probs.

hehe, no Charles Xavier and x-men then :)

I wonder if that's gonna happen too. Last minute change. hmmmmm :)

Don't get so hung up on a name. It will come naturally, wait and see, but as I said before (somewhere), Deborah's just a gorgeous name, haha
I have always been meaning to ask!! What's your wife's first name???? I feel as if I know her already, although I know I don't!!! Ask her permission before you post, and we all have to be the first to discover what the sex of your baby is!! and what you both decided to name the baby!!! ( I mean that moyashi) we want to be the first, lol

@samuraitora
lol .. that's just too funny. Seems like we are thinking along similar lines ... or at least the same page of the book as my buddy would say.

@Debs
hehe, thanks.

My wife's name is Miwako. テョツクテイaテゥq this might not show but ... 3 characters (beatiful-peace-child) ... lolol ... no peace in this house. I just got yelled at for getting some coffee while she's vacuuming.

She doesn't read, write or speak much English. So I'm not worried about posting here at the forums ;) Although, I hope that this will change in the future.

@ moyashi

Nomen non semper est omen.

I always get yelled at if I forget to do the vacuum cleaning. :)

Originally posted by rickinto
So aside from learning Japanese.....What other interests do people on this forum have.

Me, I am a Masters swimmer, hold a Brown Belt in Shorinryu Karate, and I am trying to make more time to be active in the Japanese Cultural Centre, here in my City.

Next......

I enjoy cleaning my house, hiking (I can walk for hours), doing pilates and yoga (all that breathing and stretching keep me sane).

A Money Pit!

I have a house like the one in the movie with Tom Hanks, The Money Pit. All my spare time and money is spent repairing it. Every time I turn around something has gone wrong and every small project turns into a major overhaul. The local Home Depot supply store has given me my own parking spot I spend so much money there. Thank God for shows like this old house that teach us do-it-yourselfers how to fix things. My house is only 50 years old but the guy who built it used my place as a training start. I wanted to burn it down and start over, but the wife likes it as is.

Most of my time goes at work ( i work at a design shop, iittala ) or at school (i'm a clothing student, all though i'm thinking of changing my field to japan research ;) ). Then I spend some time with my boyfriend, and with my friends...if I have time i draw and paint, make clothes, watch movies,read,dream,write to my japanese friends...and i listen to music _a lot_.I used to play the violin,but I don't anymore... I also used to organize clubs and parties and so, but i don't have time for that anymore :(
...I love animals, and I dream of getting a dog some day... an afghan maybe (see pic)..

I have school, so when I have time I like talking on the phone/IM, drawing, reading, internet, roleplaying, writing stories/poetry and listening to my cds. ^^ I have 2 cats. I love cuddling w/ them and playing w./them

While we're on the subject of names.....It's sorta a hobby for me, but not really to find the meanings of names. When I pick out a name for a rp character or for a story or something that's what i go by. I have names in mind for when I have kids (long way off tho I don't even have a boyfriend^^ i'm waiting until after high school),

Back
Top Bottom