What's new

OT: food insects

Mansoor

Sempai
4 Mar 2016
I apologize you for posting this comment, but this is the question that came in my mind and I have to express that.
First of all, I know cultures are different ( although I hope they become one) and some group of people do somethings that seems weird, but the fact is that, some of these habits are harmful and dangerous for their health!
For example, in the eastern Asia a little number of people eat bugs that are the source of many unknown causes and maladies in addition to the fact that the nature and inner feeling of human reject these unusual foods ( in fact they are not worthy the we consider them as food)
These are some of buggy foods that some Japanese serve. Not only these foods! make me feeling sickness but they scare me and I wonder how they can eat them?!

Bug mix pizza contains, Taiwanese water bug, caterpiller moth, big catarpillar, joro spider and larvae at a bug eating party in Tokyo, Japan. The bug eating movement is gaining in popularity in Japan where bug eating gourmet cooking parties are sold-out. The insects are seen as the ultimate challenge in the world's gastronomical capitol but alo seen as an important alternative source of protein for the future and even the Japanese Space Program is looking into using insects as food in space...

A bug eater holds a cock-roach that is to be eaten at a bug eating party in Tokyo, Japan. The bug eating movement is gaining in popularity in Japan where bug eating gourmet cooking parties are sold-out. The insects are seen as the ultimate challenge in the world's gastronomical capitol but alo seen as an important alternative source of protein for the future and even the Japanese Space Program is looking into using insects as food in space travel.

The problem is not only they sound some unpleasant food but they are the source of many new and unknown maladies that appear in the area of those people and then will be spread out in the world. Ebola, SARS and the other new Type of lethal maladies are some instances.
It is good you know some illegal sexuality ( especially homosexuality) causes such dangerous and unknown maladies too.

Last edited:
It is good you know some illegal sexuality ( especially homosexuality) causes such dangerous and unknown maladies too.

I am really reaching my limit in how much I can tolerate from you.

If you can't cope with the advancement of society outside Iran, it may be wise to cut yourself off from the internet..

I am really reaching my limit in how much I can tolerate from you.

If you can't cope with the advancement of society outside Iran, it may be wise to cut yourself off from the internet..

I don't know why you are so uneasy of my post while I didn't do any wrong?

Mansoor, I am not (yet) commenting on your endless tirades, but your post was completely off-topic, hence moved. Please refrain from derailing threads with unrelated diatribe!

Mansoor, I am not (yet) commenting on your endless tirades, but your post was completely off-topic, hence moved. Please refrain from derailing threads with unrelated diatribe!

You are right. I should not sent that post in this thread. You can delete my post.

People who choose to eat insects will be smart enough not to pick species that may carry diseases, don't you think? :)

Concerning the "sick" aspect: it's already possible in some places to buy "insect burgers", a bunch of worms and insects that have been crushed and mixed together so the result looks like a hamburger patty. Just a uniform mass, no wings or legs sticking out. You might even eat it and like it if I gave one to you without telling you what it is.

I still remember the first time I tried this:

inago-no-tsukudani.jpg

Inago no Tsukudani

It took a while to take the first bite, but it was actually quite tasty and filling.

I respect your choice but I have to say, I keep away strictly from insects, spiders, worms and scorpions as food (Taiwanese even eat scorpion that is intensely poisonous.They even sell grilled scorpions as sandwich or kebob in some street-markets)!

However, despite I respect you and your choice, I warn you to stop eating these dangerous things, because then you will turn into a bacterial bomb that threaten the world. These unclean bugs not only are container of unknown bacteria but they effect your genes and may a genetic mutation happens in your body and your chromosomes be replaced or malformed.
Be warned please and don't eat bug. consider my informing as a helpful and saving message!

The only insect that you (either western or eastern) can eat is grasshopper. It is clean from bacteria quite, is pleasant and eatable. So you can cook a clean food from them. You can provide a dray or watery food by the numbers of grasshoppers but it is better you cut their heads and feet and cook just their body. The best grasshoppers for food are the big ones.

Nonetheless I don't like to eat grasshopper because of its shape that remember me a harmful insect.

However you can enjoy cooking and eating grasshopper.

Good luck

Last edited:
I warn you to stop eating these dangerous things, because then you will turn into a bacterial bomb that threaten the world. These unclean bugs not only are container of unknown bacteria but they effect your genes and may a genetic mutation happens in your body and your chromosomes be replaced or malformed.
Be warned please and don't eat bug. consider my informing as a helpful and saving message!

Where is your evidence that eating bugs is dangerous, can cause gene mutation and would threaten the world?

Most of your posts are filled with pure conjecture and misunderstanding regarding the world that you live in.

P.S. you might enjoy this video of these American teenagers being abused by forcing them to eat cookies.

Where is your evidence that eating bugs is dangerous, can cause gene mutation and would threaten the world?

Most of your posts are filled with pure conjecture and misunderstanding regarding the world that you live in.

P.S. you might enjoy this video of these American teenagers being abused by forcing them to eat cookies.

I didn't opine baselessly. Sometimes wisdom says us what correct and what wrong is, without we need to wait for an experience in the future.

whether you deny or accept, Insects often are the container of viruses and bacteria, specially the unknown ones. Also they have some special genes that are base on an special structure. Eating such beings may effect on genetic structure of human's body, as some chemical substances may effect on the cells and their components.

In addition to these, some proteins and chemical substances are made in the body of bugs that if they are released in the body of human will causes some destruction in the cells' proteins and also genes and chromosomes structure.
I hope the medicine scientists do some studies and researches in this background to find out what I am expressing now, but be sure they will acknowledge all my scientific expressions in the next.

Last edited:
...I warn you to stop eating these dangerous things because then you will become a bacterial bomb threatening the world. These unclean bugs not only are containers of unknown bacteria, but they affect your genes. They may be a genetic mutation happens in your body, and your chromosomes are replaced or malformed.
Be warned, please and don't eat bugs. consider my information a helpful and saving message!

Bacon. Now there's some true comfort food!

bacon.jpg

This is ridiculous. Of course people are investigating the safety of insects as food, it's a natural response to a new type of food coming onto the markets. Of course, when I say 'new', it's really only new to certain cultures while other cultures have been eating insects for as long as people have been eating.

Anyway,
Insects as food and feed: what are the risks? | European Food Safety Authority

The EFSA finds that insects are similar in risks to other animal foods, and highlights some issues that would make insects more dangerous as food (ie, if you feed the insects with products from ruminants you risk contaminating the insects with prions like bovine spongiform encephalopathy.)

This paper on crickets as food includes citations that crickets are unlikely to carry dangerous pathogens (but there are risks of heavy metal poisoning and allergic reactions, making it important to use farm-raised crickets to avoid concentrations of heavy metals and also to take appropriate allergy safety precautions). The paper also points out that there are no food safety laws specifically pertaining to insects but they we should have them if this is going to be a growing industry.
http://sites.lsa.umich.edu/sustaina...ds/sites/139/2016/05/Rachael-Lacey_Thesis.pdf

There's a ton more out there. And yes, there are important food safety concerns especially with insects that consume animal waste but much less with insects that consume plant matter (like crickets or the grasshoppers that you've given special approval to). Mostly this means you need to be careful about what you feed the insects and the conditions that you raise them in so that you don't contaminate them with things that can affect people.

It's also quite important that we do establish good food safety standards for farming insects, and honestly, the sooner the better. At least in the U.S. the existing livestock industry fights tooth and nail to preserve profits resulting in some various dubious practices continuing to be allowed (you really don't want to know what the conditions for mass produced chicken or beef look or smell like, it's pretty unappetizing.) I'd love to see good food safety standards put in place before the industry really takes off.

What we don't need, however, is baseless hysteria around the issue. Yes, there are many insects that are full of terrible bacteria and would make you sick - that's because those insects are eating feces or rotting meat, or are crawling around on dirty floors, etc. Farm-raised insects on the other hand, are only exposed to what the farmer gives them. If you don't put them in contact with disease-causing microbes they won't contain disease-causing microbes.

Back
Top Bottom