What's new

News Obama to visit Hiroshima

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
He'll be the first US president to visit Hiroshima while in office. What will he say?

Barack Obama to visit Hiroshima on Asia trip

In ruling out any apology, the president's communications adviser, Ben Rhodes, said on his Twitter page that the US would be "eternally proud of our civilian leaders and the men and women of our armed forces who served in World War II". He said that Mr Obama would "not revisit the decision to use the atomic bomb at the end of World War II. Instead, he will offer a forward-looking vision focused on our shared future".
Obama to make historic visit to Hiroshima on May 27, accompanied by Abe | The Japan Times

Obama to become first sitting US president to visit Hiroshima | US news | The Guardian

Petaris

Sailing away...
Donor
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how people react/respond to this visit.

Uncle Frank

SECURITY-you SPAM/we BAN
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Tar & feathering would be nice , LOL.:p

Petaris

Sailing away...
Donor
Reaction score
Tar & feathering would be nice , LOL.:p
Maybe in a political sense.

I wonder what he will say in his speech. There are some very long memories/grudges still around on both sides from WW II. This could help bring closure to some but I doubt it, especially since there won't be an apology apparently.

Lothor

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe in a political sense.

I wonder what he will say in his speech. There are some very long memories/grudges still around on both sides from WW II. This could help bring closure to some but I doubt it, especially since there won't be an apology apparently.
It appears that most Japanese people don't see the need for an apology. The Japan Times has been reporting this very well and did a poll on the need for an apology.
Japanese hail Hiroshima visit, say apology not needed | The Japan Times