What's new

Nihongo Everyday

If you want to learn Hiragana and Katakana VERY quickly (within 1 week) you have to be able to put a little effort forward. Here is what I did. I searched the internet for romanji sentences and compiled about 6 pages worth. (about 30 to 40 sentences per page) You can usually find sentences with just romanji on Learn Japanese pages. Using this chart

Kana-Chart-01-005.gif

I used only the Hiragana section on every example sentence. Then I went back and used Katakana on every example sentence. Take note that all i was trying to do was to memorize the symbols and not to actually translate the romanji to hiragana or katakana. I managed to memorize about 95% of the Hiragana in about a day and a half. I then learned the Katakana in about the same time. Just be sure to look over the symbols at least once every day or you will forget the less used ones (like wo, we, etc..) I am currently trying to learn Kanji. With kanji, you just have to study it and try to figure out why the symbols are the way they are (Sometimes you need to go out on a limb, but there is usually a logical answer to why each one is drawn the way it is.) I only know about 75 actual japanese words (watashi, desu, demo, kore, etc...) =) I will start on those after I learn about 100 Kanji. Also, please excuse any spelling errors I have made (I suck at spelling and grammar)

Miyuki-san,

Your sight is awesome. I also saved as a favorite. I am hoping to study it and become more proficient and confident in my speaking.

Your the best, ganbare!

I bring this up just to let you know that the color green (midori) is sometimes referred to as blue (ao) in Japan. I don't know why they do this. So midori has one extra syllable--is saying "ao" so much easier?

I remember a time as a child I was speaking to someone and the subject of traffic lights came up. I said "midori shingou" (green light) and I was told that it's NOT midori shingou but AO SHINGOU, even though the light is physically green like in the U.S. or anywhere else in the world.

The shredded green seaweed that's sprinkled on top of Tako yaki or Okonomi yaki is called "Ao nori" (blue seaweed). There are other examples.

However, if you picked up a cucumber and asked what color it was, kore ao desuka? You'd probably get a reply "Ahoka! Sorewa midori ya naika!"

Thanks Eriku-san. I've printed out the kana chart and i've been using it to help me learn hiragana. ;)

Porl''

thank u ...the two sites are too nice ...
i will try to learn japanese in one or two weeks as i can..
one question
what yoroshiku onegaishimasu.means???

Konnichiwa Heiji-san!

"Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu" is a greeting that means respect. The Japanese use this word "Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu" to first meeting person or superior.

NANGI

I want to learn Japanese too. I have just been to miyuki-sans's site.
Simple but kirei! Arigato Gozaimasu! You're site is a great help especially with the pronunciation.

Can't you also say どぞよろしく or はじめまして instead of the おねがいします?

Last edited by a moderator:
Konnichiwa Jian-san!

Of course, "どうぞよろしく" or "はじめまして" are good greetings to first meeting person. ;)

NANGI

How to say "student"

There are various way to say this.

I once had a professor in college who asked me if "kare wa watashi no gakusei desu" meant "He's my student."

I told him "kare wa watashi no oshi'ego desu" is better. "Oshi'ego" literally means a child being taught, but it can be used to refer to adult students as well. This term implies a more personal teacher-student relationship than just a generic "gakusei"

"Gakusei" generally means students of middle school level and higher.

Primary school students are generally called "seito".

A student of a martial art, or any other type of traditional Japanese art, is called a "deshi" -- a disciple.

🙂

Do you often use "jidou" or "gakudou" for primary school children as well? I asked my tutor about various terms for student the other day and gakusei, jidou came to mind right away but for some reason she had a harder time thinking of seito. ツ ツ

"Jidou" is more like children, so it applies to kids in kindergarten as well. No connotation of someone who studies.

Seito is more appropriate for elementary schoolers.

Hardly anyone ever says Gakudou.

Originally posted by Golgo_13
"Jidou" is more like children, so it applies to kids in kindergarten as well. No connotation of someone who studies.

Seito is more appropriate for elementary schoolers.

Hardly anyone ever says Gakudou.
Gakudou is more like schoolchild/ren which of course we don't say much in the US either. And maybe the connection with jidou and pupil (or kindergarten student, sorry I forgot about them) was just a dictionary one. ツ ツ

Child Abuse is "Jidou Gyakutai".

In ordinary conversations no one would say "jidou"; they'd just day "ko" or "kodomo"to refer to a child.

Oshiete Golgo_13san,

I also learned 先公 today as derisive slang for teacher. Is it used very often ? :)

It's used often on Japanese TV dramas, but in general . . . I don't hear it much.

No one really calls a teacher "hey, teach!" like in that movie "Up the Down Staircase" with Sandy Dennis. But then again, that movie was from a time when Sandy Dennis--an immense cat lvoer--almost looked like a teenager. LOL!

I shouldn't make fun of her. I once studied at HB Studios in NYC where she taught part-time.

ナ津カ would be similar to using ナ誰 in this situation then. I don't know why I never realized that before.

"senkou" is still derisive. Kun (君) is used among peers. You would never call a teacher by his last name and a kun added.

In Japanese schools, kids do not refer to each other by their first names, ever. Boys are called by their last names with a "kun" added, and girls are called by their surnames with a "san" added. Boys who think they're leaders or bullies call other boys without the "kun" added.

It's no big deal to anyone in Japan. No one ever complains that that is gender discrimination

Konnichiwa Elizabeth-san! Golgo_13-san!

About "-kou"

You never use this word "-kou". This word "-kou" has several meaning, but "Senkou" means a contempt for teacher(Sensei). And "Polikou" means a contempt for policeman. Those words are very contempt and evil words, more than "-kun".:p

NANGI

So senkou is probably used more in describing a negative personal experience with a teacher. Do either/both of these sound natural as well?

あの先公は学生の扱い方が厳格すぎて人気がないです。

or

あの先公は運動場で学生を自分たちだけで遊ばせません。

Originally posted by NANGI
Konnichiwa Elizabeth-san! Golgo_13-san!

About "-kou"

You never use this word "-kou". This word "-kou" has several meaning, but "Senkou" means a contempt for teacher(Sensei). And "Polikou" means a contempt for policeman. Those words are very contempt and evil words, more than "-kun".:p

NANGI
こんにちわ南木さん!

それに"公"と語尾は付けられている「獲て公」と「イタ公」と二つの言葉を見つけたばかりです。ほかに何か頭に浮いて来たら、書いてください。

そして間違いがあったら、訂正してくださいね。

Originally posted by Elizabeth
So senkou is probably used more in describing a negative personal experience with a teacher. Do either/both of these sound natural as well?

あの先公は学生の扱い方が厳格すぎて人気がないです。

or

あの先公は運動場で学生を自分たちだけで遊ばせません。

IMO, anyone who uses Keigo (polite speech) with "desu" and "masen" would NOT use "Senkou" in the same sentence.

Only good-fur-nothin' little punks use the word. An ordinary student would still say Sensei even if he/she had a negative experience.

:)

Originally posted by Golgo_13
IMO, anyone who uses Keigo (polite speech) with "desu" and "masen" would NOT use "Senkou" in the same sentence.

Only good-fur-nothin' little punks use the word. An ordinary student would still say Sensei even if he/she had a negative experience.

🙂
OK--next one I'll try putting on my ruffian, holligan, goonish hat and come up with a better example. :p

Back
Top Bottom