What's new

NEWS WEB EASY: 東京や大阪以外でも外国からの旅行客を増やしたい

billFisher

Registered
31 May 2017
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but have used a similar forum called "Chinese Forums". I've been learning Japanese through self-study for the past 1.5 years and had a quick question about a sentence in an article I was reading on NHK NEWS WEB EASY.

(Here is the link):
NEWS WEB EASY|東京や大阪以外でも外国からの旅行客を増やしたい

Particular Sentence:
政府は観光について調べた「観光白書」の中で、4000万人にするためには東京や大阪以外のまち来る人を増やす必要があると言っています。

In this sentence, the main problem I am having is with the "4000万人にするためには東京や大阪以外のまち来る人を増やす必要があると言っています。" part, particularly 4000万人にするためには.
What purpose does にするために play in this sentence?

Also, what would Noun+にしたい mean? Wanting something to happen, or expecting something to happen?

a typo
東京や大阪以外のまち来る人

Unlike なる, する is volitional, so 4000万人にする means "to make (the number of foreign visitors to Japan) reach 40 million". The same goes to (something を)~にしたい: "to want to make something change to ~".

a typo
東京や大阪以外のまち来る人

Unlike なる, する is volitional, so 4000万人にする means "to make (the number of foreign visitors to Japan) reach 40 million". The same goes to (something を)~にしたい: "to want to make something change to ~".
Thank you so much for the help!

So, I could translate this text:
政府は観光について調べた「観光白書」の中で、4000万人にするためには東京や大阪以外のまち来る人を増やす必要があると言っています。

Roughly into this:
In the Kankou Hakusho (Tourism Report), which is a document pertaining to tourism, the government states that there is a need to increase the amount of visitors in cities besides Tokyo and Osaka in order to reach an amount of 40 million visitors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom