What's new

Need some help with weird word usage

Pikellaneous

後輩
23 Apr 2015
I've posted a scan of the manga I'm reading.
I have a question about panel 3
彼が歩けば自然に道が開け
What confuses me here is that the last word is the noun ひらけ which means a start or beginning. Is it saying that the path (道) becomes a start/beginning?

Attachments

• 01_001.jpg
    01_001.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 169
I already gave you the answer...
the continuous usage
I wonder how you got the meaning of 半田清明を父に持ち in the second panel or 孤高の男と呼ばれ in the last panel, or why you didn't ask about them.

I also don't get the て and た form combination of 送る why use 送っていた instead of 送った?
What's the difference?
Come to think of it I might have seen this before and forgot.

Last edited:
... Your questions show that it's too advanced for you to translate this manga...
FYI,
半田清明 is his father's name. (半田 is the family name, and 清明 is the given name.)
Check again about ~ている form in Tae Kim's site.

Put the manga away for a while. Work your way through at least Genki I (and Genki II would be even better) before you attempt decrypting Japanese text. Right now you know just about enough to confuse yourself and you'll have to re-plow the same ground to unlearn the stuff you're mis-learning with this current approach.

It's going to be a few years before you can read manga as you would like to, so there's need to get in a rush on the front end.

... Your question shows that it's too advanced for you to translate this manga...
FYI,
半田清明 is his father's name. (半田 is the family name, and 清明 is the given name.)
Check again about ~ている form in Tae Kim's site.
Gah! I was using a fan translation for reference and they made the same mistake it seems. I will definitely be doing some review. Thanks for your help.
So what does 半田清明を父に持ち mean? Did I at least get the use of に right? Possess from father? Did the inherit the title of Calligraphy Master from his father?

Put the manga away for a while. Work your way through at least Genki I (and Genki II would be even better) before you attempt decrypting Japanese text. Right now you know just about enough to confuse yourself and you'll have to re-plow the same ground to unlearn the stuff you're mis-learning with this current approach.

It's going to be a few years before you can read manga as you would like to, so there's need to get in a rush on the front end.
I think I'll just work on my vocabulary then.

Did you get the point about 開け, which you got stuck on and had never seen before, is the exact same form as are 持ち and 呼ばれ? Why did you not get hung up on those as well?

So what does 半田清明を父に持ち mean? Did I at least get the use of に right? Possess from father? Did the inherit the title of Calligraphy Master from his father?
Not really. Your translation is far-off. The subject of 持ち is 半田清.

Did you get the point about 開け, which you got stuck on and had never seen before, is the exact same form as are 持ち and 呼ばれ? Why did you not get hung up on those as well?
Because Jisho.org didn't have that as the noun form while the verb was 開ける that threw me off. Don't know how I got the other two. Accident I guess. Messed up and got it right maybe, but I don't know why it works.

By getting a textbook and learning the language before trying to decrypt it with just zeal and a dictionary.
I'll do that but my ADHD dosen't like it. Ha ha (I actually have ADHD)
I'll review all the basics while I wait to get the books. Thanks for all your help.
*Takes note to never trust amateur translators*

Back
Top Bottom