What's new

Help Need help with grammar from this sentence from textbook.

Alexredd

Registered
14 Feb 2017
Hi, I know this isn't exactly the right place to post this because my problem is kind of a mix between both [Translate] and [Learning Japanese], but please excuse me for that. So I'm having trouble translating and understand this sentence below:

"人の脳は大きく、論理や言語を処理する左脳と、情緒的な感情を処理する右脳に分けられる"。

So I know some of the kanji words meaning but I can't quite combine and understand the whole sentence structure, there are also additional grammar problems here that I need help with:

1. What is the purpose of "と" after "...処理する左脳.." in the sentence?
2. Both "情緒" and "感情" seems to both translate as "emotion", so how does "情緒的な感情" work and what does "的な" means?

Sorry for the long question, and thanks in advance.

"人の脳は大きく、論理や言語を処理する左脳と、情緒的な感情を処理する右脳に分けられる"。

1. What is the purpose of "と" after "...処理する左脳.." in the sentence?

The basic structure of this sentence is
X は Y と Z に分けられる
X can be divided (categorized) into Y and Z
In this case 論理や言語を処理する左脳 is X
and 情緒的な感情を処理する右脳 is Z

2. Both "情緒" and "感情" seems to both translate as "emotion", so how does "情緒的な感情" work
That is actually a good question. Anyone else like to take a shot at it?
and what does "的な" means?
It turns a noun into a na-adjective.

e.g.
Xさんはニートです。
X is a neet

ニート的なXさんは役に立ちません。
The neet-like X is good for nothing.

Lol, I should probably have come up with a better example there. :p

The basic structure of this sentence is
X は Y と Z に分けられる
X can be divided (categorized) into Y and Z
In this case 論理や言語を処理する左脳 is X
and 情緒的な感情を処理する右脳 is Z

So I'm gonna try my best to translate this:
"The big human brain is split into the logic and language processing left brain AND emotion(?) processing right brain."
I hope this is at least somewhere near to being close to correct.

I hope this is at least somewhere near to being close to correct.
Well, not bad, but you missed one point. 大きく is here used to mean 'largely', 'to a great extent', 'mostly'

The human brain is largely split into the logic and language processing left brain and the emotion processing right brain.

Oh my bad, I thought 大きく in that context refers to the size of the brain as big. I still have a long way to go, Thanks again.

2. Both "情緒" and "感情" seems to both translate as "emotion", so how does "情緒的な感情" work and what does "的な" means?
I would use "emotional feelings".

As already explained, 的 changes a noun into an adjective.
e.g.
行動(action) --> 行動的(active)
魅力(charm) --> 魅力的(charming)
効果(effect) --> 効果的(effective)

Incidentally, the etymology of this 的(teki) is an English suffix "-tic/-ic", as in romantic, dramatic or exotic.

Thank you very much!!
And err I don't know if it's appropriate to ask so many questions in a single post but I kinda need some help translating this sentence:

"音楽家は右脳が発達しているということから考えると、すぐわかる."
I'm really lost at the "しているということから...." part, I cannot comprehend the amount of grammar layer there.
I'm really sorry to bother.
Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom