What's new

Need help translating WWII battle flag

USMCCHAD

Registered
1 Nov 2014
IMG_2496.JPG

That's a poorly-made fake written by someone who didn't know Chinese characters at all.

Well shoot... That's what I get for buying before researching. Lesson learned today. $60

Well shoot... That's what I get for buying before researching. Lesson learned today. $60

If it was presented as being genuine and there's any place you can file a claim, do so. That thing is so fake it is amazing. We'll back you up.

No Japanese person wrote any of that, nor anybody who even understands anything at all of the language. Or history, either...the idjits dated it 1947!

It's a Japanese flag
...Don't you know Chinese characters, which are called kanji in Japanese, are used in Japanese writing sysyem?
(I'm a native Japanese speaker, btw...)
Japanese writing system - Wikipedia

What you did is called 金をドブに捨てた "You threw your money down the drain" in Japan.

No Japanese person wrote any of that, nor anybody who even understands anything at all of the language. Or history, either...the idjits dated it 1947!
Furthermore, since he/she omitted "year" after "7", it can be read "the seventy-second month of the year"!!

Last edited:
Plus the fact nobody would have written the year by the Western calendar anyway...

The whole thing looks like it was done with a magic marker.

Over on the left it looks like they ran out of things to copy and just started making up their own characters down toward the bottom.

And December 11, 1947 was a Thursday, not a Sunday.

If something this badly done will sell, I might buy myself some white muslin, a couple of magic markers, and open an eBay account.

Just claim it's Chinoiserie Style in the small text, Mike.

To the OP: next time, check beforehand, but for now, how did you buy it? If Ebay or Paypal or both, you should open a claim immediately.

I picture an old Gunny DI at boot with a locker full of them he made up telling the recruits how he took it off a dead Japanese officer , LOL. Semper Fi !

Uncle Frank ;)

Back
Top Bottom