What's new

Need help in translation of one sentence

Shiv

Registered
7 Nov 2015
Hello I need help in translating the following sentence:

1. I Walk / Live among you, but I am not one of you
Please help with translations from older Edo period versions of translations not modern day Japanese if possible.

Thank you very much in advance.

What do you mean by "older Edo period versions"? Are you talking about formal written language used until WW2?

What do you mean by "older Edo period versions"? Are you talking about formal written language used until WW2?
Yes that is correct, if my understanding is correct there is quite a bit of difference between modern day Japanese and that spoken / written before WW2. I apologize for not being clear. Thank you again for your help

Unlike formal written language, spoken language is not significantly changed. Anyway, here's my attempt;

我汝等と共に歩むも汝等の一人には非ず

Unlike formal written language, spoken language is not significantly changed. Anyway, here's my attempt;

我汝等と共に歩むも汝等の一人には非ず

Thank you very much or shall i say Arigatto Gozaimas, for this Toritoribe, would you be so kind and help me with the modern day version as well with the romanji so I am sure of the pronounciation ... Thank you again for your help ... Arigato Gozaimas

The word for gratitude is Arigatōgozaimasu / Arigatougozaimasu in Japanese.;)

classical
我汝等と共に歩むも汝等の一人には非ず
Ware nanjira to tomo ni ayumu mo nanjira no hitori ni wa arazu

modern
私はあなたたちと一緒に歩くが、あなたたちの中の一人ではない。
Watashi wa atnatatachi to issho ni aruku ga, anatatachi no naka no hitori de wa nai.

Arigatougozaimasu .. I believe that I will use the modern version kinda makes more sense or at least to me it does .. I am finally getting this tattoo ... Toritoribe Arigatougozaimasu ... appreciate your help with this

Last edited:
Well, I don't agree with the idea to get Japanese sentence tattoo, but the classical version is far better than the modern one, imo.

The other day I was standing in a line at Subway in the middle of the U.S. and the guy in front of me had 家庭 tattooed on his arm. I presume he wanted it to mean "Family." To me it just reads as "household" more than anything. Almost like a random vocabulary word his arm. Not a total fail but still... probably nobody he knows can read it. And those of us who can probably thnk "well that's kind of dumb" like I was thinking. At least the characters were very nicely done.

Back
Top Bottom