What's new

Need advice on spouse visas ~!

Megmartin975

Registered
12 Apr 2016
Basically, I'm British, I'm a student at a language school learning Japanese and I have so far been in Japan one year, and by the time I would like to marry my boyfriend, I will have been in Japan for 2 years. However, around next April, he will graduate university and start working (he's job hunting right now). He asked me if he needs to have been working for some amount of time before we are able to apply for the spouse visa. Is this true? He thinks that he has to have worked for either a number of years, or be earning an amount so high that would take a couple of years to get to that kind of salary. I understand this as I read that the Japanese national will be marked down legally as the sole supporter, thus having to prove income etc. However, my current guarantor is my mother, who lives in England. Will she continue to be able to be my guarantor? Thus making it less pressure for my partner to have to support the both of us? I will likely be receiving funds from her for a while first anyway until I start working, but I'm wondering if this can be legally put down as her being a guarantor and thus be applicable to the CoE application? I'm planning on doing an open university degree while I am in Japan (university itself in Japan is too expensive for me at the moment) and after I have obtained my degree I'll be aiming to work in the translation / interpretation side of business, or teaching. However of course I will look to work while I am doing my degree and living in Japan, as I know you can get any job when on a spouse visa.

So simplified, the questions I'm asking are as follows:

- Does my boyfriend have to be earning over a certain amount of money/working for a certain amount of time before being eligible?
- Can my mother, who lives in England, be my guarantor?
- Can the spouse visa be applicable to someone who is 23 years of age, and has graduated and started work in the same year that the visa is applied for?

Thankyou!

I think if maybe his family can be the guarantor there shouldn't be any big problem but I'm sure others can give you more information.

Just have his father be the guarantor. You shouldn't have any problems. At some point in the future when renewing the visa you can switch it to your husband if you wish.

Immigration is the one who can answer all of these questions. I can only speculate. Have your boyfriend contact them. It's the easiest route.

In all likelihood, once he has a job even his starting salary, should be enough for him to act as your sponsor because he is your husband and actually the amount they require is rather flexible in practice. If you're going to get married, just get married and apply for a visa. But as others have said, you can just stroll down to the immigration office, most of them have English speaking people there who can help you, and you can inquire by yourself

If you're getting married for visa, don't. Haha

Back
Top Bottom