What's new

Name the best Anime you have seen!

Very true. They're the ones bringing Spirited Away to North America in September of this year.

haha, I just caught that band's name last night.

In the case of a band. hehe, I bet they do.

back to topic:
Spirited away? Do you know the Japanese title?

The Japanese title for 'Spirited Away' in romaji is: 'Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi'

As for best anime I've ever seen... that is easy for me...

NOIR

lol, doh. It's finally on DVD here. The English name couldn't be farther away from the Japanese one could it? I still haven't seen it although all my students basically already told me the story.

I heard it was quite good. Possibly better than princess monoke ... ahh hell I forgot how to say that one too :)

Yes, I'm expecting it to be quite good too. I should be getting it on DVD sometime this week. Mononoke Hime was an excellent movie.

千と千尋の神隠し (Spirited Away) is a fantastic anime. I find it interested that almost all of the people posting in this thread have similar opinions of Miyazaki Hayao's (and Takahata, but Miyazaki has always (I think) been involved in Takahata's work) animations. My personal favourite of Ghibli's is 耳をすませば (Whispers of the Heart). But I have loved all of Studio Ghibli's releases, including some of Miyazaki and Takahata's pre-Ghibli works (e.g.: パンダコパンダ) 'Though you're all probably familiar enough, a good reference for Ghibli works is:

For the record, I like almost all types of anime (some hentai is a little much for me...). Recently, I've watched "Excel Saga" - a great anime that makes fun of other anime. I've been watching Rurouni Kenshin and Noir also. They are very good.

I cannot pick a favourite of all time, because each genre is different and I like some better than others depending on my mood.
I'll try, but usually most recent is most remembered and thus most liked (I tend to fall in love with characters easily):

Television series: Love Hina (ラブひな) but Angelic Layer is a close second (気道天使アンジェリクレイヤー) and I've been wanting to see Akazukin Chacha (赤頭巾 チャチャ) because I've heard so many great things (yeah, I'm the kind of sicko who likes Mahou shoujo)
OVA Series: FLCL (フリクリ)
Movie: Anything from Ghibli, but specifically Whispers of the Heart (耳をすませば)

But realistically, I like everything. I am annoyed when they have stupid, depressing endings. (e.g.: grave of the fireflies, berserk, Trigun, cowboy bebop)

Evangelion will always be my favourite
anime series as it was the first and the one that
introduced me to anime ^_^. Tenchi Muyo, which
is less serious, comes second. ^_^v

And oh, my favourite anime game: Xenogears - the
story is really really cool ^_^v.

In recent production, my favourite anime is undoubtedly "Shrek", though it's not Japanese at all. I prefer the Simpsons or adventure anime (usually Western) such as Aladdin (Disney version) or in Japan "Lupin" (ルパン).

"The Simpsons" and "King of the Hill" are certainly the best of their genre, very entertaining and yet subtle in their socio-criticism, something I'm missing in most J-anime.

@ socio-criticism
there's a british cartoon in that same genre which is also very good, "Bob & Margaret"

I've read the GITS manga and when I saw the movie, it didn't lived up to may expectations. But the same thing happened with Akira. Read the manga first and saw the movie later. Not that they are bad, but I soo enjoyed the manga.

My favorite anime movie of the moment would be CB's: Knocking on Heavens Door, altough I really liked Princess Mononoke and it is from the same author of the very first anime movie I have ever seen: Nausicaa.
There is another one altough its screenplay was a bit weird but I loved the animation/music. I'm talking of Wings of Honneamise (hope I wrote it right.).. I found it very beautifull but strange at the same time.

My personal favorites: Akira, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Neon Evangelion and Hakkenden

My wife's personal favorites: Kiki's Home Delivery, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away

Anime Movies I want to see: Metropolis

I liked the Rurouni Kenshin. I liked Fushigi Yuugi. I also like the manga of Ayashi No Ceres.. same kind of feel.

I thought Akira wasn't that great because I also had been told it was so great that it was inevitable that I was disappointed. I like Card Captor Sakura... lol, but not one of the best I've ever seen.

Ghost in the Shell is gotta be up on my list tho, that movie is unique.

^____^

Miss PuccA~

Originally posted by lineartube

How about Animatrix? It will only be available on DVD, though... :(

Yes... the whole "DVD Zone" situation is very unfortunate for many of us around the world. While Japanese videos will work for us in the USA, DVD's from "Zone 2" will not. If for some reason you are unaware of how the DVD system works, check the following website out:

DVD ZONES AND MAP :eek:

Sorry Thomas!
"very entertaining and yet subtle in their socio-criticism, something I'm missing in most J-anime."

I hope it stays that way! Japan is best off with Doraemon and Crayon Shinchan taking care of that for us.

My favorites (sofar...I have by no means exhausted the available titles) would have to be spirited away (I just watched it and I liked it probably twice as much as princess mononoke) and ninja scroll. I thought metropolis was pretty good too. As for americanamation (I just made that up) I really like the Simpsons. Funny and lower class, but with sophistication. I am always entertained. The funny thing is Bart is my age or even older by "real life time" (I'm 21) and he doesn't look a day over...um...8 or 9 or...maybe 12.

Originally posted by nukleareraffe
Anybody seen "Noir"?? This one is pretty good. I also like "The Hakkenden". Besides that all of the classics like Akira, Ninja Scroll or Ghost in the Shell. What about "Rurouni Kenshin"? I like it as well.
🙂 noir is a great title

Yes... the whole "DVD Zone" situation is very unfortunate for many of us around the world. While Japanese videos will work for us in the USA, DVD's from "Zone 2" will not.

If I buy a DVD, I expect it to work and it WILL work. If the companies can't understand the meaning of global commerce, then though luck.

Laissez faire, laissez passer. Looks like we are back to pre-Colbert's days...

:(

there is no law restriting the unlocking of dvd players :eek:

now that i think about it, scryed is a good one too

I like GTO, Gundam, Trigun, Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, Spirited away, Detective conan, card captor sakura, x, etc.
I have seen Ghost in the shell, but I never understand the story.
hahaha... poor me!! ^_^;

Back
Top Bottom