What's new

Name for Japanese restaurant in Sweden

Thomaas

後輩
31 Dec 2014
Hi!
I need a good Japanese name for a sushi restaurant in Sweden. Preferably a simple name that the Swedes can pronunciate. Notice that some popular names like Shogun , Akki, Ikki, Yama, Samurai, Sensei, Wasabi etc. are already taken, so I'm looking for something unique.

Appreciate all forms of suggestions. Thank you!

Hi!
I need a good Japanese name for a sushi restaurant in Sweden. Preferably a simple name that the Swedes can pronunciate. Notice that some popular names like Shogun, Akki, Ikki, Yama, Samurai, Sensei, Wasabi etc. are already taken, so I'm looking for something unique.

Appreciate all forms of suggestions. Thank you!
How about ichiban?
一番すし
The best sushi.

What type of image are you trying to portray? If it is freshness e.g you could use 新鮮 Shinsen which means fresh.

Hokuto 北斗 = North Star
Zuiten 瑞典 = Sweden in kanji (phonetic pronunciation)

Last edited:
What type of image are you trying to portray? If it is freshness e.g you could use 新鮮 Shinsen which means fresh.
We're trying to portray quality good food. Shinsen is a good idea, but the name is similar to another store in Sweden.

How about 岬 (misaki) meaning "cape" (the geographical feature, not the one you wear)?

You have a particular mountain in mind?

For example, if your name was Kleinberg and you wanted to somehow incorporate your name, you could Japanify it into 小山 - oyama or koyama - (small mountain). Add 亭 (restaurant, inn) on the end to make Oyama-tei.

"Onama" sounds vulgar to my native ears...

I'm glad to hear you say that, because it didn't sound very appetizing to my non-native ears either.

I think something using 活 would better convey what was intended by 生 there.

My daughter suggested すし処 (sushi dokoro). I thought it was perfect.

"Nama" does not just mean "raw"/"fresh" (meat), but is also used for referring to "bare", "naked" (body parts) and "unprotected" (sex).

Yeah, "nama" is more likely raw, not fresh, therefore 腐った生魚 "kusatta nama-zakana" rotten raw fish is valid. On the other hand, 腐った新鮮な魚 "kusatta shinsenna sakana" is semantically odd.

Back
Top Bottom