Bert
葉亜都
羽阿杜
覇亜堵

Christine
玖李栖天
久利州典
栗州展

You can change the combination of those Chinese characters. :)

I have a different way. You find out what your name means then write that in kanji. My name Caroline means 'strong', so I translated it to 強子 (子 because I am a girl!) I chose the kun reading 'tsuyoi' for strong, because it sounds better than kyou or gou, the on reading. That is why I am Tsuyoiko! It is probably not a 'correct' way to translate my name, but I had fun!

:oops:

i'm not sure how his names are pronounced.
i forgot all french somewhere, mais tiens
辺瑠(斗) when you don't prounce "t", no (斗) is needed.
栗栖胆 how do you pronnce "tine"?

Bert means 'bright', so you can use 明, pronounced 'mei'.

Christine means 'Christ-bearer', which is more difficult because Christ is written in katakana. But I found a kanji for Christ, I don't know if it's ever used. So Christine using this kanji would be 基督持参人 (kirisuto jisannin).

OK, my method only works if your name has a simple meaning!

Tsuyoiko said:
I have a different way. You find out what your name means then write that in kanji. My name Caroline means 'strong', so I translated it to 強子 (子 because I am a girl!) I chose the kun reading 'tsuyoi' for strong, because it sounds better than kyou or gou, the on reading. That is why I am Tsuyoiko! It is probably not a 'correct' way to translate my name, but I had fun!

I did something similar for my last name. It's Coleman, which comes from Coal Man, so I wanted to incorporate the kanji for 'coal/charcoal'—炭 sumi。 I initially went with what seemed to be the obvious, 炭人 sumijin, but a Japanese friend suggested 炭吉 sumiyoshi, which she suggested sounded more pleasant. Of course, it isn't pronounced anything like my actual name, but if I ever am in Japan and need an inkan, I like the looks of 炭吉 much better than コールマン.

You can also prounce 炭人 as Tanto or Sumito.
Boys' names, xxto, like Yuto, Kaito, Kento or whatever seem popular right now in Japan. My nephew is named as Akito.

Oh it's your last name...

There might be a problem with translating my name

My name is Joeri, you speak it exactly as " Yuri "
But if I am not mistaken, that is girl name in Japanese?

How would this be solved? Would everybody in Japan think I am a girl when seeing my name? :)

There's a Russian boxer here named Yuri Arbachakov, ex-WBC champ.
He applys 勇利 to his first name. Boxing lovers know his name.

I suppose you pronouce your name like Yuuri not like J name yuri.

pipokun said:
You can also prounce 炭人 as Tanto or Sumito.
Boys' names, xxto, like Yuto, Kaito, Kento or whatever seem popular right now in Japan. My nephew is named as Akito.

Oh it's your last name...
After reading this thread, I once again became inspired to search for kanji which would correspond to the English pronunciation of my name. With the assistance of Your Name In Japanese and Jim Breen's dictionary, I thought this combination for 'Coleman' was nice:
幸万
幸(こう) Happiness
万(まん) Ten Thousand
I'd like to ask any native speakers out there if this combination of kanji could possibly mean anything ludicrous or inappropriate, something idiomatic that I probably wouldn't find in the dictionary. I'd hate to have a hanko made and it turn out to have an obscene meaning

Yeah, I guess you should avoid that transliteration... :)

How about 誇浪漫? It is rather difficult to find 100% transliteration of any non-Japanese names, but the meaning of the characters above is "proud of roman".
Ko Roman is the actual pronounciation, but I suppose it does make sense for your name.

浪漫 has more meanings of man's spirit like an adventurous spirit.

Last edited:
pipokun said:
Yeah, I guess you should avoid that transliteration... :)

Do you mean "kouman"? I did a search and found...

高慢 【こうまん】 (adj-na,n) haughty; arrogant; proud;

Is that the transliteration you said I should avoid, or is there another?

Sumiyoshi said:
Do you mean "kouman"? I did a search and found...

高慢 【こうまん】 (adj-na,n) haughty; arrogant; proud;

Is that the transliteration you said I should avoid, or is there another?
?
well.. no...
the characters, 幸 and 万 are nice ones, but you said something about "obscene meaning", i played my word association too much. :p

pipokun said:
well.. no...
the characters, 幸 and 万 are nice ones, but you said something about "obscene meaning", i played my word association too much.
:p

OK, gotcha. I guess someone could give just about anything a suggestive meaning depending on their frame of mind at the time :giggle: Hmm, "Ten Thousand Happinesses" would be a great title for a Kama Sutra type of book...

syntax said:
There might be a problem with translating my name

My name is Joeri, you speak it exactly as " Yuri "
But if I am not mistaken, that is girl name in Japanese?

How would this be solved? Would everybody in Japan think I am a girl when seeing my name? :)

I just played a Japanese RPG, in which the hero is half J, half Russian. He was called Yuri.

Tenshi said:
Naruto wa saikou desu!
can somone traslate this my japanese isn't that good enough
Perhaps "Naruto is great/wonderful/the best!" ナルトは最高です!

Is this Naruto referring to a person (an anime character?) or to a steamed fish-paste cake (鳴門) or...?

Sumiyoshi said:
Is this Naruto referring to a person (an anime character?) or to a steamed fish-paste cake (鳴門) or...?

naruto is reffering to anime char..!! the manga is good too.. i like the story, emotion, and every char has a great personality and skills..

you must read the manga or watch the anime.. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom