What's new

MEXT Scholarship 2016 (Research)

Dangosan

後輩
4 Feb 2015
Hi everyone!
Since everyone (or most of them) getting prep for exciting journey to Japan, I thought it was probably a good time to make new thread for those who are applying for next term 2016. I know I should start getting ready for paperwork and a research plan but so busy with damn school (currently on last semester) :banghead:.

Anyhow...

I am thinking about applying through my local embassy rather than the uni's recommendation. I reside in the USA so my local embassy's (Los Angeles, CA) deadline is in late May/early June. I am planning to study tourism/aviation;) Not sure if my chance of getting in is slim since I've seen many of you are mostly in field of either medical or engineering. I hope I am wrong haha.

Anyway, I wish you guys the best and let's hope we all get in!:angelic:

Hi there, I'm also going to apply this year.
My sister applied last year but wasn't selected. I think she will try again this year, and I'm worried about that. I don't know if we both can apply for the same year scholarship, although we would be pursuing different Masters.
I called the embassy here in Mexico, but they said I should wait until the application period starts to get information...

I'm still working on my research proposal. It's a lot of work when you haven't done anything similar before (in my uni we don't do thesis for graduation), and there are no researchers in my university either, so I'm all by myself.

Are you going to do the research proposal with a formal structure?
(Introduction, Statement of the Problem, Definition of Terms, Theoretical Framework, Methodology, etc)

I'm already excited thinking about it even though it's still very far from even starting.

Are you going to do the research proposal with a formal structure?
(Introduction, Statement of the Problem, Definition of Terms, Theoretical Framework, Methodology, etc)
Hi Frida,
Yes, I think I'll go with a formal structure, though I am not sure how detail the plan has to be. My problem right now is narrowing down to single topic that I can concentrate on. I have done some research proposals in past but not to this extent so this is throwing me off a bit (in a good way). I really need to start it...:cry:

As far as the application information/deadline is concerned, I, too, contacted the embassy and was told the same thing which is to wait. I've talked to my professor regarding past winners of the scholarship from our school, and I was surprised to hear that only 2 people made it. The competition is through the roof! I cannot speak for anyone else here, however, I think there is a lot to gain from even if I don't win this year. So I'm glad to hear that your sister is trying it out again.
Anyhow, how is your research proposal going? 👍 or 👎
And may I also ask what study and school you are pursing?

Hi Dangosan, thanks for your input about the structure.

My first choice is Todai's Global Society program, although I've been told that's the school most people aim for and thus makes it harder to get chosen.
My other two choices are private universities (Doshisha & Waseda).

The research proposal is a headache :p I never imagines it would be so difficult to get it to a point where I'm happy with it. I'm still working on it >_< But everyday we have less time to finish it!!

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone applying to the MEXT Research Scholarship this year is a Psychology major, or planning on researching mental health in Japan? I've heard that this is a pretty difficult track and was wondering if that's the case, and if so, why? Although my initial research thesis is more Neuroscience in nature, I'm just poking around to find out what my options are before I get too far in my proposal.

Thanks! ^^

Hi all! I am not a Psychology major myself, but I don't see how that may be a problem as long as there are professors or labs doing the similar research.

Are you guys planning on contacting professor soon? March is coming up and we only have three months of so left to prepare for this. Exciting but nerve wrecking time indeed.

And are there any older applicants around? I am a bit older, 30 now, but hoping that it wouldn't be a factor in the selection process :p

Good luck to everyone! Hope we can help each other out through this process :)

Hi menna,
I'm new in this page, :angelic: and I'm planning to attend in Japanese scholarship, should I prepare a propose for my master degree .
N.B: I graduated from medicine and I want to complete my master degree in gene therapy ;)

another Q: how I could choose my supervisor for acceptance letter?

Hi menna,
I'm new in this page, :angelic: and I'm planning to attend in Japanese scholarship, should I prepare a propose for my master degree .
N.B: I graduated from medicine and I want to complete my master degree in gene therapy ;)

Hello dr.Alia,
You should definitely get ready for your master's research plan now so that you'll have time preparing for other stuff (e.g., interviews, exams, etc.). As far as the acceptance letter goes, you can worry about that once you pass the preliminary screening, but I have heard many people reaching out to potential supervisor early on so he or she is familiar with you and your work. It never hurt to be too cautious :) Good luck!

Hello dr.Alia,
You should definitely get ready for your master's research plan now so that you'll have time preparing for other stuff (e.g., interviews, exams, etc.). As far as the acceptance letter goes, you can worry about that once you pass the preliminary screening, but I have heard many people reaching out to potential supervisor early on so he or she is familiar with you and your work. It never hurt to be too cautious :) Good luck!

Hi Dangosan ,
thank for your reply.
Can I ask you how to do a propose? did you have any website that explain it?
I ask you too much :(:cry:

Hi Dangosan ,
thank for your reply.
Can I ask you how to do a propose? did you have any website that explain it?
I ask you too much :(:cry:
Hello again,
I am still quite on early stage of the proposal so I can't really help you there but
MEXT Scholarship 2015 (Research Students) | Japan Forum
may be this thread can help you. Many senpais have already laid down the groundwork for us :) (Thank you senpais...!)
Anyway, if you still need help, feel free to ask around. Good Luck!

Hi guys :) How is it going with your proposals? Any contacts with professors yet?

Also, is anyone applying from outside their home country?

Hi there again. I really just want to work on the proposal and contact professors until i finish it. I wouldn't want them to think my proposal is half hearted since it's not finished yet. I think contacting them on April will be my objective.

I'm on the same boat with Frida here. I wouldn't want the potential supervisor to think that I am completely lost and need immediate guidance on the research proposal (although there are exceptions to this of course). I guess I want to be at least be able to present myself as well-knowledgeable and well-prepared before start contacting the professors. As far as my research proposal goes, I am far from finishing it...I want to cry:cry::cry: Anyway, I hope you guys are doing well!

I see, I think that is a good idea! I am thinking of fixing it up a bit for the one that I may send to the professor, maybe to make it sound a bit more professional than the study plan.
How long are your proposal/study plan going to be by the way? And keep up the good work :) The application isn't really opened in most countries yet, so we have time!

Any Canadians applying this time around? The Montreal and Vancouver consulate websites have yet to post information for 2016 departures.

How many of you are in the humanities?

Any Canadians applying this time around? The Montreal and Vancouver consulate websites have yet to post information for 2016 departures.

How many of you are in the humanities?

I am a history student, such as yourself, but I am applying through the university recommendation method, so I will be enrolling this year (if I pass, ofc). Are you planning on going there to study Japanese History?
I've heard that they are very rigorous in the embassy method with people planning on studying Japan-related humanities (such as Japanese Law, Japanese History, Japanese Language, etc...). I am going there to study Russian history, so I don't have that much of a problem, lol.
Anyway, good luck to both of us!

Hi menna,

Hello alia,
Are you Malaysian?
If yes, lets do our best together!!
Gambatte ne..

Hello ^^
I'm from Slovakia (but currently studying in the UK) and I'll be applying for research scholarship this year. Right now I'm working on my research program but I'm a bit concerned about its length - do you think 3000 words is too much? I talked about it with a member of research staff at the uni here in the UK and she said that usually research propasals have 2000-3000 words but then again this is not the usual research proposal. Any thoughts on this issue?
Thanks!

Lu

I am a history student, such as yourself, but I am applying through the university recommendation method, so I will be enrolling this year (if I pass, ofc). Are you planning on going there to study Japanese History?
I've heard that they are very rigorous in the embassy method with people planning on studying Japan-related humanities (such as Japanese Law, Japanese History, Japanese Language, etc...). I am going there to study Russian history, so I don't have that much of a problem, lol.
Anyway, good luck to both of us!

I am a student of inter-war Canadian foreign policy in the 'Far East' region, my study of which is centred mainly upon the Canadian legation opened at Tokyo in 1929.

Going through University route, will you be applying first to the institution THEN for MEXT from them - or are you going through a 'home' university?

Go team humanities!

I am a student of inter-war Canadian foreign policy in the 'Far East' region, my study of which is centred mainly upon the Canadian legation opened at Tokyo in 1929.

Going through University route, will you be applying first to the institution THEN for MEXT from them - or are you going through a 'home' university?

Go team humanities!

Oh, I see! Canadian foreing policy in the far-east, eh? Sounds interesting!
In my case, I was recommended to the university by my prospective advisor, the university analized my profile and then recommended me to the ministry.
Go team humanities, hahaha.

Oh, I see! Canadian foreing policy in the far-east, eh? Sounds interesting!
In my case, I was recommended to the university by my prospective advisor, the university analized my profile and then recommended me to the ministry.
Go team humanities, hahaha.

Interesting! Are you hoping for April 2016? Please share some information about your experiences being recommended through your home university and what you have studied/will study.

Good luck to us historians - not too many of us on this site, and maybe not too many of us in the MEXT programme more at all!

Hello i'm new here, i decided to join when i saw this thread since i want to apply for the MEXT scholarship this year, the thing is i feel a little lost, i'm currently studying medicine and i will graduate this year, i wanna specialize in Ophthalmology, in order to do that i thought about entering first as a research student in an already ongoing investigation since in my university we don't do thesis and the researches i have done are in public health, so instead of writing a proposal i have started sending letters to japanese universities to see which one will be willing to admit me, but after reading this i'm now wondering if i should be writing a proposal even if my main objective is not research but to enter the Ophthalmology residency, what do you guys think? i'm starting to panic here >.<

@SayuKami21 i think all countries have the same process for the postgraduate scholarship, where you first have to be selected as a research student and then seek entrance to the school through the masters o doctorate admition process.

I have not seen the scholarship being able to be used to do a residency. All I know is that it is only granted for full studies.

Back
Top Bottom