What's new

MEXT Graduate Program (Research Student or Master's Degree Student)

Stp Jet

後輩
15 Apr 2017
Hi guys!

I am planning to apply for the Research Category for MEXT however, I got confused because I'm planning to take the embassy route and it was stated on University websites that you have to become a research student (non-degree) before you could actually become a master's degree student. You have to take an entrance examination on your selected University before you can actually become a degree student. I plan to select Waseda, Sophia and Nagoya as my preferred universities.
How long do I have to stay as a kenkyusei for me to be able to take the entrance examination and become a master's degree student? Anybody got experience (past and current scholars)? Please do help me cause I'm planning to set this down to my timeline which will be included in my application. Thanks!

The research student period is mentioned in the guidelines. If you leave in April, you can stay as a research student for 2 years. If you choose October you can stay as a research student for 1 and a half year.

You can attempt the entrance exam anytime during that period. That depends on when your university has the entrance exam.

Are you going for Master's? Write a research proposal for 2 years then. Dont include the research student period. Thats what I did.

If you are confused about the dates, assume that you will join the course 6 months after you arrive in Japan and add the dates accordingly.

( 2018年度大使館推薦による国費外国人留学生(研究留学生)の募集について:文部科学省 )

The research student period is mentioned in the guidelines. If you leave in April, you can stay as a research student for 2 years. If you choose October you can stay as a research student for 1 and a half year.

You can attempt the entrance exam anytime during that period. That depends on when your university has the entrance exam.

Are you going for Master's? Write a research proposal for 2 years then. Dont include the research student period. Thats what I did.

If you are confused about the dates, assume that you will join the course 6 months after you arrive in Japan and add the dates accordingly.

( 2018年度大使館推薦による国費外国人留学生(研究留学生)の募集について:文部科学省 )
Can I ask what university are you currently in? And how long was the period that you became a Master's student? Thank you.

Can I ask what university are you currently in? And how long was the period that you became a Master's student? Thank you.
I'l be leaving in October. I was placed at SOKENDAI at the National Institute of Genetics. I will attempt the entrance exam in February 2018 (for april admission). So I will be a research student for atleast 6 months, assuming I get through the entrance exam in one attempt.

Back
Top Bottom