Meaning of Toorini

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
こんにちは皆さん
最近は魔女の宅急便と言う本を読んでいる。物語の間中 キキはおかあさんにパイをやくのが教え方。

本は「あせる気もちをおさえ、おかあさんにおそわった とおりにパイをやきました。さあ、おいしそうなパイの できあがり」と言う

とおりにはどういう意味ですか

I hope that makes sense. In a book called kiki's delivery service I've come across a line that reads

あせる気もちをおさえ、おかあさんにおそわったとおり にパイをやきました。さあ、おいしそうなパイのできあ がり

it is from Kiki's perspective

I get the feeling that it translates in english as....

Kiki trying to suppress the feeling of impatience (because she has a party to go to) showed the lady the way to bake the pie.
But was does Toorini mean?

よろしくお願いします

とおり【通り】
3 〔同じ状態〕
いつもの通り
as usual

上記の通り
as stated above

彼の演説の趣旨は下記の通り
The gist of his speech is as follows.

言った通りだろ
I told you so!
おっしゃる通りです
You are right.
その通りだ
That's it
!

言われた通りにやりなさい
Do as you are told.

決めた通り実行した
He did exactly what he had decided to do.

Thanks toritiribesan.
So if it means as taught, would it be as kiki's mother has taught her?

i.e

Kiki trying to suppress the feeling of impatience (because she has a party to go to) baked the pie just like her mother had taught her.

Hi all,
I have another question in regards to this story so I thought I would keep the same thread.

further along in the story, kiki arrives home after a delivery which was very hard (it started to rain etc)

she says

せっかく届けたのに。一生懸命届けたのに。

is a good translation.....

It was extremely difficult...but I did it (the delivery) I tried with all my might and delivered it.

よろしくお願いします

You don't give us any context for understanding the reason the のに are there. You overlook the omitted part which follows, without which you can't really hope to convey the situation adequately. She's 悔しがっている about something and your translation just totally dismisses it.

I think I may have translate 届く wrong. I translated it as to be delivered. However it should be to arrive.

Kiki was supposed to meet a boy named tombo who had invited her to go to a party at 6. And I think she saying that she tried her best to get their but she was late. That's the reason she is 悔しがっいる。

What I don't understand is that she sees him walking away and Jiji the cat tells her that she still has time, but she goes to bed. That's why I thought it meant " even though it was difficult I delivered it" originally because she was so tired.

No. Your initial translation of 届ける* is correct. It means "to deliver".
(*You should differentiate between 届ける and 届く.)

せっかく届けた and 一生懸命届けた, nevertheless(= のに) the girl Kiki delivered the pie for didn't pleased with it.

Kiki got depressed not because she was tired.

So it's more like..

Even though I tried my best and it was very hard......the girl didn't appreciated it.

Does the のに imply surprise at the out come?

Obviously she is so tired and wet from the rain that she just doesn't want to go to the party now.

Just for confirmation, are you reading the original picture book written by 角野栄子 or a novelized version of Miyazaki's anime?

The anime version, unfortunately.
in this following statement kiki says

もう、いいです。こんななりじゃいけないもの。after osonosan asked her if she had met the boy who had been waiting.
what does this mean?

does konna nari... mean things such as this?

Last edited:
Then, the girl said 「あたしこのパイ嫌いなのよね」 when Kiki delivered the pie, no?

Dictionary is your friend.
なり【形】
2 〔服装〕
みすぼらしいなりだとサービスが悪い
You do not get good service when you are shabbily [poorly] dressed.
そんな (変な) なりしてどこへ行く気だ
Where are you going in that (ridiculous) getup?
なり【形】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - goo辞書

That's 行けない; the negative potential of 行く.

What about the girl's reaction? Didn't she say あたしこのパイ嫌いなのよね or like that?

so kiki is depressed no just because the girl didn't appreciate her efforts in delivering the pie, but also that she said she hated it after kiki had baked it as well.

when kiki says
もう、いいです。こんななりじゃいけないもの。 it's like.....I don't care. I cant go looking like this. (as she is soaking wet)

The girl doesn't know Kiki's efforts, or a fact that Kiki baked the pie, either. Even though Kiki is soaking wet and thoroughly tired, she would be happy if the girl appreciated her. She shocked and got depressed to know that her efforts might not be useless.

Kiki can get dressed and go to the party if she wants to do so. こんななりじゃいけない is not the (well, at least the only) reason she doesn't go.

its interesting, because osonosan doesn't know what has happen either. so all she knows is from what kiki says. so if kiki uses 行けない not able to go, she would think it is because of her appearance and of being late (thus probably tired).

what is the purpose of the ending もの。?

That's right. That's exactly Kiki's intention.

もの/もん is a sentence final particle to explain the reason, often with connoting complaint or emotional dependence.

Back
Top Bottom