What's new

Maximum hours and break times

JaffaCake

後輩
25 Nov 2014
Hello
I was wondering if anyone can explain a few of the labour laws in Japan to me. Specifically maximum hours you can work in a day/week, and legally required break and lunch times etc.

I know for instance that in the UK, we are only supposed to work 45 hours, and have a 1 hour break for lunch etc. (I'm guessing - I dont actually know the exact numbers apart from the fact a law does exist)

Anyway, reason is I think my partner is working way too many hours in the day with only a very short break for lunch, but before I say much more to her I would like to understand the laws a bit better.

Thanks in advance,

What sort of work and what kind of hours?

Even if it turns out not to be strictly within the letter of the law, do you expect that she will say anything to her employer or that anything will change?

She's working in a nail shop. 10-11 hour days with a 30 min break for lunch. They just increased her hours by 30 mins next month which she is pretty upset about, hence why I wanted to ask what the law is.

I think they are asking too much, but i want to know what the rules are before saying much more.

On a different point and out of interest is there a minimum wage in Japan?

Cheers

Minimum wage depends on where she lives. How many days a week does she work? Does she have any breaks other than her lunch break?

Sapporo. Days off vary each week, but 5-6 days a week average. This week 1 day off, next week 2, and the following week just one day off again. and from what she says no breaks other than lunch. not sure if between customers counts as a break either

Some screenshots from the govt FAQs:

40 hour workweek

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417125705.219060.jpg

Over 8hrs/day gets 1hr or more break

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417125874.239634.jpg

45hrs/month or 360hrs/year overtime

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417125958.166158.jpg

If Japan obeyed and enforced traffic laws the same way they do labors laws, the carnage on the roadways would make the Battle of the Somme look like a sorority pillow fight. Don't get your hopes up.

OK thanks. Good to know the facts at least.
I shall let her read the above and she what she thinks if she doesn't already know the details.
But i don't know if she will want to confront her boss anyway!

Again thanks for your help. I think we will wait until her first proper paycheck to see if at least she is getting paid for all the hours she is working. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom