What's new

Mata ne or Jaa mata or Jaa mata ne?

NoSleepInJapan

Registered
21 Aug 2014
Hey everyone.

So I'm having trouble distinguishing the difference between Jaa mata, Mata ne, and Jaa mata ne. Which one would I use? I know they are meant to mean 'See you later', but which one is the one to use? Is one more formal than the other?

Thanks.

they're all pretty informal, just variations of one another. "Jaa" is a contraction of "dewa," kind of like "well then." Look up the "ne" particle to see what that adds to the sentence.

they're all pretty informal, just variations of one another. "Jaa" is a contraction of "dewa," kind of like "well then." Look up the "ne" particle to see what that adds to the sentence.

Ah, alright. So between the three in the OP, which one would you think is the most suitable to use?

Considering this is a kind of informal thing, can't you just use the variation that comes to your mind first...? There's a lot of things I say in English where in one occurrence, I say it in a specific way, and then in another occurrence, I naturally say it in another way (e.g. in the internet, "Sorry", "soz", "my bad", "apologies") when they all mean the same thing. I just say whatever comes to mind first, since there's no threat of misunderstanding... Pretty sure it's the same case here, as Mike said...flip it, it doesn't matter. Say any of them.

Back
Top Bottom