What's new

News M7.3 quake off Fukushima

They have since calmed down considerably, but the poor NHK radio announcer on duty when the quake hit was the most excited and worked up I think I have ever heard.

In Gunma it bounced my truck around slightly less than was the case during the 2011 quake. The electric lines were dancing between poles.

TBS brought nothing but tsunami warnings for over an hour. I'm currently stuck on a train bound for Tokyo, and I have to admit it was the first time I've been close to a claustrophobic attack. For some reason public transportation in Tokyo was affected by the quake.

I assume that the drivers received an earthquake warning and stopped as a precaution then restarted when it was confirmed that the earthquake was not large in Tokyo. That would explain why a lot of suburban trains were about 5 mins late this morning.
Thomas - hope you are feeling better now.

Last edited:
Woke me up, but I tend to trust my building so I didn't worry too much and went back to sleep.

I did have a dream that the building fell over and I was caught in a tsunami but I attribute that to the chuhai I had last night.

Yesterday's magnitude has been upgraded to M7.4. Other updates:

Tsunami hits Japan after strong quake near Fukushima disaster site| Reuters

reuters-tsunami.jpg

M.7.4 quake was triggered by vertical split in undersea rock: experts | The Japan Times

As Mike mentioned, NHK did raise their "urgency modulation" by a few notches and added warnings in other languages:

Public broadcaster NHK, always a key player in disaster prevention, revamped its broadcasts after 2011 in response to criticism that it had been too calm in its reporting, leading some to take warnings less seriously.

So on Tuesday, announcers abandoned their usual careful modulation for an unsettling note of urgency, repeatedly telling listeners, "Do not go near the water, a tsunami is coming!" as messages flashed on the screen in red saying "Tsunami! Run!"

And in a nod to a growing number of foreign residents, a dubbed version of the NHK channel broadcast warnings in English, Chinese and Korean. Several young foreign English teachers died in 2011, prompting speculation they had not known of the danger.

Source: Bitter lessons of Japan's 2011 tsunami put to use with latest quake

Back
Top Bottom