What's new

News M6.7 quake hits Hokkaido

It sucked. Almost every room of my place was trashed. In the bedroom, there was a matter of seconds between the alarm going off and it just massively hitting. There are two tansu in my bedroom, and one fell over, right next to me. It could have crushed me or broken bones, luckily its door just grazed my skull creating a big gash. Those things are large, heavy and deep, so we never even considered it could fall over.

Power was out by 3:30 am. This morning, no power and almost no cel reception. Some places the water is off, but our neighborhood was fine. We got power back in the afternoon, but some parts of the city are still blacked out. No work for lots today and tomorrow. I will be cleaning.

While stationed in the Alutian Islands on Adak , we had small and very large quakes often. Always scared the crap out of me on the long drawn out ones. I was in charge of the library and a large quake knocked every book off the shelves ; took me a week to clean it all up.

It sucked. Almost every room of my place was trashed. In the bedroom, there was a matter of seconds between the alarm going off and it just massively hitting. There are two tansu in my bedroom, and one fell over, right next to me. It could have crushed me or broken bones, luckily its door just grazed my skull creating a big gash. Those things are large, heavy and deep, so we never even considered it could fall over.

Power was out by 3:30 am. This morning, no power and almost no cel reception. Some places the water is off, but our neighborhood was fine. We got power back in the afternoon, but some parts of the city are still blacked out. No work for lots today and tomorrow. I will be cleaning.

Sorry to hear about the damage, but I'm glad that you and your family are fine!

They are still looking for survivors:

Hokkaido quake toll hits 16 as hopes fade for survivors; power 40% restored | The Japan Times

The quake has a significant impact on tourism, too:

Hokkaido quake spurs mass hotel booking cancellations, tourist spot closings | The Japan Times

We felt it with a magnitude 4 here in Obihiro. No damage, but plenty of shaking. And, for 46 hours we had zero power, no phone service, and no hot running water. The lines for food were about an hour or more long, and gasoline was being rationed to 1 liter per person for the very few places that were open. Things seem back to normal now.

We felt it with a magnitude 4 here in Obihiro. No damage, but plenty of shaking. And, for 46 hours we had zero power, no phone service, and no hot running water. The lines for food were about an hour or more long, and gasoline was being rationed to 1 liter per person for the very few places that were open. Things seem back to normal now.

I'm glad that you are fine and things are back to normal.

Unfortunately, the death toll in the Atsuma landslide is still rising.

As rescuers dig through landslides, Hokkaido quake toll rises to 35, with another 2 presumed dead | The Japan Times

Updates on the traffic situation (in Japanese):

交通政策局のページ(総合的な交通施策の推進) | 総合政策部交通政策局交通企画課

Back
Top Bottom