What's new

Looking for *title* of old black & white Japanese film...

TimNZ

Registered
I was recently in Sydney and found a shop selling Chinese, Korean and Japanese films, I found two which were interesting and Japanese but had no subtitles so I don't know the titles. I should have just bought them to help find a subtitles file online... but they were not very cheap and I didn't think of it at the time.

Perhaps you can help identify the one I was most interested in:

The cover looked 1960's with a montage of a submarine (possibly nuclear) but the film featured what looked like a pocket sub. It was black and white but the cover made me think it was possibly neo-realist - black and white, but produced in the 50's or 60's, It seemed a 'human' story (drama, comedy, or just avante garde) rather than a war film.

I've been punching films through google looking for movie posters but havent found anything that matches.

Maybe someone here knows what it could be. Would be 40's-50's or arty and done later.

Ratings
Here are some submarine movies from Japanese wiki, and these sound possible:

潜水艦ろ号 未だ浮上せず (1954) (image from amazon - although you might have seen a different cover). The wiki summary says that the submarine in question is a smaller type (Ro-100-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia possibly).

人間魚雷出撃す (1956)
Possible if the "pocket sub" you saw on the cover was actually a kaiten.
Seems to be a couple of different covers, this is a re-released one.

I don't imagine it would be easy to find subtitles for these sort of films (if they even exist).

TimNZ

Registered
Thanks for those suggestions. I tried to run up movie posters but none looked like the one I saw.

The Kaiten submarine looks like what was on the cover (it was sleek like that) but I wonder if the submarine is not a great part of the story - the film might not be military but just feature one in passing.

I'll definitely be going back to Sydney near the end of the year or early next so if that store is there I will at least get the date if they still have it.

The staff were Chinese so best they could tell was it said 'classic' on the cover and I;m pretty sure it was a film release by Toho, which I imagine most were anyway.

Mikawa Ossan

気づいたらカッパだ
Ratings
[video=youtube;uhYaiEMRqbI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYaiEMRqbI[/video]
Perhaps this one?

Sensuikan I-no-gojuu-nana Koufuku Sezu