What's new

Locally curated culture and lifestyle guide for Tokyo

poweredbytko

Registered
4 Jul 2016
Hello everyone,

We have just launched a new web platform for a more local Tokyo experience. poweredby.tokyo is a community driven initiative that seeks to establish the modern Tokyoite. We aim to authentically and organically capture, document and communicate Tokyo's unique urban culture through the insight and experience of the very people that shape it while redefining what it means to call Tokyo home. Please have a look!

poweredby.tokyo | The Essence of Tokyo. Illustrated by Those Who Embody it.

TAG #poweredbytokyo (@poweredby.tokyo) • Instagram photos and videos

Cheers!

Interesting places in there. I'll try to remember to look it up next time I'm planning to go to Tokyo. If you could add a map interface or geographical index it would help with discovery.

Welcome to OUR community, I'm sure you'll stick around and contribute and not just use our board for free advertising.

Just a point on your UX design, I had no idea what your site is for even after reading through it. Is there a physical community that gathers, or are these just bloggers? where are the blogs? It's just a list of bios followed by their personal suggested locations. So this is a curated directory of cool places? Then why focus on the individuals and bury the content people are supposedly coming to the site for? If this is a community, how does one join and participate? If the goal of the site is to share information about cool places, that information needs to be first and foremost.

The portraits are well done and the site looks attractive, but in trying to be non-conventional I'm afraid the usability suffers.

I had no idea what your site is for

I thought it was just me....

I never did figure out what the site was supposed to be about. I thought it was all a list of their staff and didn't bother to click on any of it.

My apologies for overstepping into YOUR community.

We get a number of people who create blogs and come here and invite everybody to come participate with them on their vanity site, while displaying zero interest in participating in this community. We'd like it if you turned out not to be one of those.

I never did figure out what the site was supposed to be about. I thought it was all a list of their staff and didn't bother to click on any of it.
That's what I thought at first but then I clicked. It's set up like an antique store. You have to browse through see if there is anything interesting or if it's all crap. For those that like to find nooks & crannies in Tokyo, it's very interesting. A lot of out of the way places. For example, the Trump Room.
The right personality could become a YouTube hit by video blogging a satirical take on the U.S. election from there.

That's what I thought at first but then I clicked. It's set up like an antique store. You have to browse through see if there is anything interesting or if it's all crap. For those that like to find nooks & crannies in Tokyo, it's very interesting. A lot of out of the way places. For example, the Trump Room.
The right personality could become a YouTube hit by video blogging a satirical take on the U.S. election from there.

Maybe if he had phrased it in clear English instead of that corporate-speak mumbo-jumbo and just said it was a site introducing interesting people and places it would have been more obvious that those weren't the site staff. Abandoning the editorial "we" would cinch it.

My apologies for overstepping into YOUR community. Thanks for the feedback!
ooh, snark!

As Mike pointed out, we have a lot of people coming here just so they can promote their own projects, and contribute nothing or disappear once they've finished vomiting links all over the place. The fact that your very first post is a thread promoting your own site is a big red flag.

Back
Top Bottom